Hand auger recommendations?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Hand auger recommendations?

Post by Troller »

Hi all,
I am thinking about buying a hand auger. i do not ice fish enough to invest in a power auger or at least not right now. I ice fish about four times a season. Does anyone have a hand auger they really like. I like the fold down ones too. I sold my old one from the 1980's era that I practically had to stand on to drill a hole. lol
any suggestions would be apprecitated.
thanks,
Dave
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Hand auger recommendations?

Post by fishin mission »

If i had to buy an auger i would buy a fin bore auger the one with the blades that come angled rather than the old fashion straight blade augers
they are way easier to drill with and you use both arm to drill unlike the old one where you only use 1 hand to turn it. 6" is an easy size to use if you go to 8" its harder to drill

FIN BORE III augers....... look it up!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

For hand drills -

Nils Master is the absolute best. http://www.nilsmaster.com/web2008_007.htm

the second best would be a FinBore III by Normark (rapala) http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefron ... 30027.html

---------

You'll note they both have offset handles, they both have compound curve blades and full shaft ice flutes.

The Nils is a bit heavier but drills a bit easier - in really thick ice (20"+) both will give you a work out.

For either to work well they have to be super sharp! You can sharpen them at home but follow the instructions very carefully. Tiny differences in the blade angle make a HUGE difference in cutting power.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

This is great insight.
Thanks for the information guys,
Cheers,
Dave