BUZZBAITS

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: BUZZBAITS

Post by banjo »

I use them. Not as much recently as I did 15 years ago when there seemed to be less options for topwater weed friendly lures. But they still have their place. A longish rod with a soft tip is essential... I have never used a dobyns or any lure specific rod and my hookup ratio is fine... most off you need to be comfortable with the rod and as with any top water, react on the feel, not the splash:-) As mentionned by others the slower the better and sometimes I will even let it drop under next to a lilypad so I can pump the lure for a bulge on the surface without skipping it. I have always used 14 to 20 lb copolymer, used to use stren but now have been using Silver thread excalibur in 17 lb. A long time ago my fav baitcasting line was Stren Magnum 7-20...but they don't make it anymore. Long casts and tight lines were always the key. A new lure I will be trying is the Arboghast buzz plug. I don't have all my hopes on this lure but since it floats I will be able to creep it in, also it has body mass for a low light silhouette. Quite often I would always put a plastic curly tail on the stinger, more motion and buoyancy.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

CN wrote: Bought several. Don't like them maybe they are too new. All the ones I really like I have had for a few years. I should tie them to the truck and drive around with them to break em in.
Which ones don't you like? The Cavitron or the Damiki? I prefer the Cavitron over all of the other I have because I have caught the most fish with them and they can be slow rolled quite well without modification. I like the Damiki for the noise it makes, but it takes a little faster retrieve to keep it afloat.

Adam
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

lape0019 wrote:
CN wrote: Bought several. Don't like them maybe they are too new. All the ones I really like I have had for a few years. I should tie them to the truck and drive around with them to break em in.
Which ones don't you like? The Cavitron or the Damiki? I prefer the Cavitron over all of the other I have because I have caught the most fish with them and they can be slow rolled quite well without modification. I like the Damiki for the noise it makes, but it takes a little faster retrieve to keep it afloat.

Adam
The Damiki. they just might be too new and not worked in yet.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The noise the Damiki makes is partially from the rivet, but most of it is from the clacker. That is the part I find loud!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Great info guys. Thanks for taking the time to add to this thread.

I think I have a couple different rods that could easily handle buzzbaits so I'll be picking up a couple for sure to try.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

War Eagle
17lbs Mono
735 Champ

;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

TheMaverick wrote:War Eagle
17lbs Mono
735 Champ

;)
I do love War Eagle spinnerbaits and was looking at their buzzbaits.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I have Northam and Mann's buzzbaits that I do use the odd time.

I use the Champion 734 that I purchased from you :wink: :lol:
Revo SX 7.1:1
17lb mono

If you really want the skinny on buzzbaits talk to BA, he seems to kill the bass on them.....

TheMaverick wrote:War Eagle
War Eagle is my go to spinnerbait....
Dobyns Army member
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Here is what I'm starting with.
I did do a like modding to the Booyah buzzbait.

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Nice picks Brad,

The red Booyah will more than likely catch you a ton of pike. I don't know why they like red so much, but they destroy that color on the Rideau.

I love Cavitron BB's so nice pick. For the Rideau, I have had my best luck with Black Cavitrons with the gold blade so the black on black might be killer on bass for you.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

lape0019 wrote:Nice picks Brad,

The red Booyah will more than likely catch you a ton of pike. I don't know why they like red so much, but they destroy that color on the Rideau.

I love Cavitron BB's so nice pick. For the Rideau, I have had my best luck with Black Cavitrons with the gold blade so the black on black might be killer on bass for you.
The red one is a Nichols buzzbait I grabbed from Ed last time I was there, can't go wrong for $3!
The black is a Booyah and the white is the Cavitron. Now I'll have to grab a black with gold blade Cavitron too! Thanks :D

Thinking of taking the clacker off the Booyah??
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I actually thought the red one was the Booyah. Those clackers are loud but you have enough of an array there that I would leave it on for now until you can try it and make a decision for yourself.

Nothing beats top water so enjoy!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

biggs wrote:Here is what I'm starting with.

That Arbogast is tempting.....I like the fact you can pause it and leave it sitting.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

TheMaverick wrote:
That Arbogast is tempting.....I like the fact you can pause it and leave it sitting.
I'll be going to Ed's place tomorrow evening.
If he has them in stock, I'll get two.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

TheMaverick wrote:
biggs wrote:Here is what I'm starting with.

Yeah, its interesting. I think its actually a good idea.
Just wish it had a different name.