My second non-Dobyns rod

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

My second non-Dobyns rod

Post by StarTzar »

It was very difficult for me to do this but I purchased my second non-Dobyns Rod. :o
I was at my Favorite Tackle Shop this past Friday. (That would be Paddletales Tackle in Winchester). :lol:

I purchased A MegaBass rod. I got the F5-610XX Orochi XX Spinnerbait Special.
I can never buy a rod and not get a reel. So, I purchase a Lew's Team Gold 7.1:1

That MegaBass rod better be all that it is supposed to be.
Otherwise, I'll have to sell it and get a Dobyns DX744C. :wink:

p.s.: The other non-Dobyns rod that I got is a Loomis 852C JWR 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: My second non-Dobyns rod

Post by lape0019 »

Frank,

Congrats on the Spinnerbait special. Since the day I bought my champion 734, I have only bought two non Dobyns rods as well. The first one was a Compre baitcasting rod that I just sold on here and the second was the jerkbait special I just bought a few weeks ago. I am also hoping that this rod is all it's cracked up to be but for what I was looking for in a jerkbait rod, it felt perfect in the store and I cannot wait to try her out.

You will be happy with the team gold. I have the 6.4:1 and it will be the reel on my jerkbait special. My only word of caution is that you need to take your time setting it up right otherwise it will provide you with hours of picking line fun! Also, the bearings seem to be of great quality so don't force your cast. I am still getting used to that as I am used to putting a little more effort into my cast with my other reels.

When you finally get that combo on the water, let eveyone know what you think. I plan on doing the same with the jerkbait special but from what I have heard from Cndbasshunter and a couple others, we may be leaving Dobyns for Megabass shortly. I can't see it happening, but there are more than a few people who have done just that!

I am hoping to get one more setup for this upcoming season as well and it will either be a XX Extreme mission Type F or a DX744. The reel will be a shimano; I am just not sure if I want a Curado I (200 size) or something smaller like a Core 100/JDM Metanium/CH150 CI4+. I think it may come down to which rod I end up getting.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

I still think dobyns makes some nice sticks esp their cranking rods.

i have 5-6 of the XX rods and love each of them. they might not be the most sensitive stick compared to the NRX but are way better built, more balanced, and versatile sticks.

i will be trying some of their higher rods this year and see how they compare to the XX rods, from what i've heard not much difference except made in japan and nicer components.
lape0019 wrote:Frank,

Congrats on the Spinnerbait special. Since the day I bought my champion 734, I have only bought two non Dobyns rods as well. The first one was a Compre baitcasting rod that I just sold on here and the second was the jerkbait special I just bought a few weeks ago. I am also hoping that this rod is all it's cracked up to be but for what I was looking for in a jerkbait rod, it felt perfect in the store and I cannot wait to try her out.

You will be happy with the team gold. I have the 6.4:1 and it will be the reel on my jerkbait special. My only word of caution is that you need to take your time setting it up right otherwise it will provide you with hours of picking line fun! Also, the bearings seem to be of great quality so don't force your cast. I am still getting used to that as I am used to putting a little more effort into my cast with my other reels.

When you finally get that combo on the water, let eveyone know what you think. I plan on doing the same with the jerkbait special but from what I have heard from Cndbasshunter and a couple others, we may be leaving Dobyns for Megabass shortly. I can't see it happening, but there are more than a few people who have done just that!

I am hoping to get one more setup for this upcoming season as well and it will either be a XX Extreme mission Type F or a DX744. The reel will be a shimano; I am just not sure if I want a Curado I (200 size) or something smaller like a Core 100/JDM Metanium/CH150 CI4+. I think it may come down to which rod I end up getting.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

lape0019,

with regards to which shimano reel to get...i think the Curado I is going to be a winner. The design palms nicer that the slightly longer chronarch ci4+ and stronger.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

cndbasshunter wrote:lape0019,

with regards to which shimano reel to get...i think the Curado I is going to be a winner. The design palms nicer that the slightly longer chronarch ci4+ and stronger.
I have had the luxury of holding the curado I and it does palm quite nice. I beleive it will be a winner as well but I may just pick up a used 100 core instead or the Jdm metanium to see what all the hype about that reel is. The curado I is definitely not off my short list though.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Adam,

Before I started using my 734C for spinner-baits, I was using a Loomis SBR 813C.
I sold the Loomis because the handle profile was (IMO) too large and did not feel comfortable for me.
I really liked the length and action of the Loomis but much preferred the dobyns action and lure rating.

The Megabass rod combines (IMO) the best of both the Loomis and the Dobyns.
It has a good length (I prefer a shorter rod for spinner-baits). I really like the smaller profile grip and the action is closer to that of the 734C.
For those reasons and the fact that the rod came with a heavy discount is why I decided to purchase the spinnerbait special.

I know all about the finickiness of the Lew's Gold. I have a Team Lew's Pro which also took some time to get used to.
You are absolutely right in saying that you have to hold back on the velocity of the cast.
That being said, once I got it tuned in, I never got a backlash and It will go 2 country miles.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Nice!
I grabbed the other spinnerbait special a few weeks ago. Hopefully at the same discounted price as you!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well it sounds like you will enjoy that rod and I have yet to find out if the gold casts a country my because it was mounted on a 6'6" pool noodle of a gl2. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the new rod.

I gotta tell you, June can't come soon enough for me...

Adam
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

biggs wrote:Nice!
I grabbed the other spinnerbait special a few weeks ago. Hopefully at the same discounted price as you!
At 240, it was one sweet deal.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Well it sounds like you will enjoy that rod and I have yet to find out if the gold casts a country my because it was mounted on a 6'6" pool noodle of a gl2. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the new rod.

I gotta tell you, June can't come soon enough for me...

Adam
I have my Lew's Team Pro on the DX743C and was using it for weightless senkos.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

You guys got a wicked deal that's for sure........

I have a new Met13 and it's a winner. If you can easily palm the reel and don't mind the longer profile it's a wicked reel. For the price hard to find a better performer. I'm a die hard Daiwa guy but will be running with 4 shimano this year. Antares, Conquest 51, Met XG, and Vanquish 3000. As for Lew's im running a TP and Pro Z.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

hmmm is a card revocation in order?
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:hmmm is a card revocation in order?
LOLOL