Lew's reels - what do you think?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lew's reels - what do you think?

Post by lape0019 »

Well,

I just put my mind at ease even more. My patriarch xt is designed with almost the exact same frame as the team gold complete with the little plastic pieces. I have had this reel for 4 seasons now and I haven't had an issue with it at all. This is one of my favorite reels I own.

I still find it funny on how they designed the reels but I guess I don't have to worry about failure too much.

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Makes sense since Pflueger, Lew's and Abu are all manufactured by Pure Fishing.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

Only the Revo line is made in Korea, everything else I believe is made in China. Lew's and Abu use different manufactures but, are made in Korea
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

And Lew's is not owned by Pure Fishing. I have no idea where you got that wrong information
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

drake691 wrote:And Lew's is not owned by Pure Fishing. I have no idea where you got that wrong information
Never said Lew's was owned by Pure Fishing. What I'm saying is that they are probably all produced by the same third party factory in Korea.

Same goes with BPS reels.

And my Lew's are made in Korea.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

TheMaverick wrote:
drake691 wrote:And Lew's is not owned by Pure Fishing. I have no idea where you got that wrong information
Never said Lew's was owned by Pure Fishing. What I'm saying is that they are probably all produced by the same third party factory in Korea.

Same goes with BPS reels.

And my Lew's are made in Korea.

Would be nice to find out where this manufacture is...
Get some gear on the cheap :P
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

A lot of discussions have come up over the origins of Lew's.

Pure fishing doesn't actually make any of their reels. From what I understand, they are all my by some OEM group in Korea. As Mav has pointed out, this company makes Lew's, Pflueger, Abu, and BPS. They also Make Pinnacle and a slew of other brands that no one has ever heard of. This drives the manufacturing costs down so that these smaller companies can be competitive but it does not mean that these reels are identical.

Bearing quality, manufacturing materials, and overall quality is something that can be spec'd to reduce weight or quality.
As an example, I can take some parts out of the Pflueger Patriarch XT and place it in the Lew's team gold but The Lew's has a Duralumin main gear (Thank Startzar) and the Patriarch has a brass main gear.

Needless to say, I am now not worried too much about any longevity issues from the Lew's.

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

I was under the impression the contract manufacturer for BPS, Revos and Lew's models was Doyo Fishing.

But really, who cares! lol
They most liekly all get manufactured by the same few Korean factories and slightly tweek them to reflect their specific brand names.
Last edited by TheMaverick on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Oops, that's why I said "I think", your probably right. Silstar must be Pinnacle then.
Then I actually deleted my post, guess I wasn't fast enough. Damn quote function.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

biggs wrote:Oops, that's why I said "I think", your probably right. Silstar must be Pinnacle then.
Then I actually deleted my post, guess I wasn't fast enough. Damn quote function.
Let me bask in Glory, it’s not every day I get to correct the Tackle Guru! Lol0ol
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

haha.
I am sure there are many guys on here that know just as much and probably more than I do, you included!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

DOYO sounds about right. I honestly couldn't remember the name so I just typed in some OEM group"

I don't think anyone cares at this point either...