Pfleuger Patriarch baitcaster. Thoughts?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Pfleuger Patriarch baitcaster. Thoughts?

Post by River Monster »

My step brother is looking to pick up a new baitcasting reel. Price range is $150-$200. Will be used as froggin/flippin reel. He is currently leaning towards the patriarch. Has anyone used one of the new ones? What else do you guys recommend?
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Pfleuger Patriarch baitcaster. Thoughts?

Post by lape0019 »

We have discussed this a lot but I don't think I have ever gone into detail.

I have a Pflueger Patriarch XT baitcast reel and am very impressed with it. I bought it over the Curado E at the time and it has been used mainly for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I tried it as a frogging rod as well and it did the job fine but it has a pretty shallow spool so it wasn't the greatest with 65 pound braid just because I had to use backing. I would constantly cast out to the point where the backing was in the guides. The benefit to this reel was it was really easy to learn on because it had the Ultimate Brake system. The new Patriarch has this as well and allows you to fine tune the brakes.

Based on the Patriarch XT, I would buy another Pflueger but I cannot comment on the new ones because I haven't used it. I can say there are a few reels I would look at and probably buy before considering the new Patriarch.

Daiwa T3 1016
http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwat3reel.html
You can pick this reel up for less than $200.00 USD (you know where...). I would not even consider this usually but seeing as it is regualarly a $430 USD reel, I would jump all over this before considering the Patriarch.I was ready to buy one of these this year until I received a CI4+ Chronarch for Xmas. The braking system seems to be one of the best ones Daiwa has ever come out with. Read the review for yourself and if you are still not convinced, I can think of two board members who will more than likely throw their comments towards this reel as well.

Shimano Curado I.
http://tackletour.com/previewshimanocuradoilab.html
On paper, this is one sick reel. it will be a little over the $200.00 mark out here, but after playing with it a bit at Paddletales, I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Down side is your friend is a lefty and I don't think they have been released yet. I would imagine they would be before season opener though.

Lew's Tournament Pro
http://tackletour.com/reviewlewstournamentpro.html
You have one of these and know what to expect. IMO, my gold is one of the smoothest casting reels I own and it takes next to know force to get that spool moving. The brake system is the same as that found on the Pflueger. You can set the centrifigul brakes on the spool and fine tune using the magnetic brakes on the side. IMO, a great system to learn on. There are 4 or 5 different models within the Lew's lineup that would be within his price range so it may be a great place to start looking.

I would also throw in the Revo STX or Revo SX into the mix based on my experience with my old generation REVO S but the Gen 3's do not seem to get the love that the Gen 2's got. Unfortunately, both Pflueger and Abu are owned by pure Fishing and I would be concerned the issues that people are complaining about may have found their way into the new Pfluegers.

If he can find a deal on the old Patriarchs like the one Crwalker got a few months ago, I would go that route as well. Or wait for more people on here to start unloading gear to stock up on the latest and greatest but being a lefty really hurts his chances of finding something he wants.

Sorry for the novel...