Respooling----Every Year???

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Respooling----Every Year???

Post by Cyber »

Just wondering peoples opinions on re-spooling?? :|

How many do it every year, and how many when the line appears worn?? :?

My reels are all spooled with either power-pro or suffix 832, so changing
them all out every year can be a bit expensive!! :shock: :cry:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Respooling----Every Year???

Post by drake691 »

If your using Powerpro I would respool 2-3 times a year. I have found it frays and loses its colour easily, it's why I switched to Sunline(anything Shimano now partners with is now junk). I fish 3-5 days a week(mostly) and my SX-1 still looks new. For Florocarbon I normally respool every month with either FC Sniper or FC Reaction. I have also found that Sunline Florocarbon doesn't have bad memory issues
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Yearly.....yikes!!! Guess it depends on how often you fish and what kind of line you use. I usually respool my main reels every 2-3 outings depending on conditions I have fished and what weight the fish I've been catching were.

I used to be a bit lazy ad I've paid for it by using worn or stretched line, after losing a couple of nice fish I never made the mistake again, I see it as preventative maintnance
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

All depends on how much money you are going to lose if you miss a fish because of worn line? I would typically lose a couple of bucks if my line breaks, but I don't fish tourneys. So for me a spool of power pro gets reversed yearly for a couple times then I change it. If I was doing tourneys probably before every tourney. Personally if I lose a fish because of a snapped line, oh well there's more where that one came from. I would just feel a bit bad of leaving a lure in the fishes mouth. But touch wood it hasn't happened yet.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

I fish a ton and buy 1 spool a year. this is what I do. I backspool on to a new spool so the year old faded line is on the bottom fresh line is on top works for me so you can to the math every year on how many spools you need
Chris
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Mono / Floro, new ;line at the beginning of the season. Then depends on the amount of use. Generally spinning reels get re spooled 2 - 3 times a season more due to line twist and amount of fish caught.

Power pro. Yearly and on reels I don't use often, they get reversed.

The most important thing you need to do is inspect your guides for nicks. That will cause more break offs than just use. Also after every fish caught check the line for nicks. Depending on weight of fish I will re tie lures.
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

Those damn Pike and Muskie bite off more of my lures then I would lose them because of damaged line
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:
The most important thing you need to do is inspect your guides for nicks. That will cause more break offs than just use. Also after every fish caught check the line for nicks. Depending on weight of fish I will re tie lures.
That is something many forget or don't bother doing.

As for re-spooling, I re-spool everything from mono to fluro to braid.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

cgates wrote:I fish a ton and buy 1 spool a year. this is what I do. I backspool on to a new spool so the year old faded line is on the bottom fresh line is on top works for me so you can to the math every year on how many spools you need
Chris
How do you make it through the year with only one spool? I fish a ton as well and I can't make it a month with out re-spooling just from constant re-tying. I simply run out of line on my reel. If your looking to save some coin I would buy your line in bulk. I also use a line counter when re-spooling so I don't end up throwing 30 or 40 yards of new line in the garbage. I generally buy 500 yard spools so with the line counter I know I can install 125 yards 4 times without wasting any. Jon
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

jona38 wrote:
cgates wrote:I fish a ton and buy 1 spool a year. this is what I do. I backspool on to a new spool so the year old faded line is on the bottom fresh line is on top works for me so you can to the math every year on how many spools you need
Chris
I fish a ton as well and I can't make it a month with out re-spooling just from constant re-tying
X2

I re-tie after every fish caught....and I catch a ton! 8-) :wink:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

jona38 wrote:
Chris
How do you make it through the year with only one spool? I fish a ton as well and I can't make it a month with out re-spooling just from constant re-tying. I simply run out of line on my reel. If your looking to save some coin I would buy your line in bulk. I also use a line counter when re-spooling so I don't end up throwing 30 or 40 yards of new line in the garbage. I generally buy 500 yard spools so with the line counter I know I can install 125 yards 4 times without wasting any. Jon
Easy I have about 7 rods I use and if you have your reels set right you should get next to none in backlashes I also know how to tie a knot and don't waist a lot of line may be 3-4 inches at the most..... Ummm my spools are also full and you can put a lot on a reel if done right!!!! I'm not sure how far you cast but the way I bass fish I don't need to make mile long casts so I don't mow through the line.... I was told right from a spiderwire rep at the bass pro shop I few years back that there is nothing wrong with the line that is under the sun faded line. A side note the line on my reels at my cottage is like 5 years old still hauls em in
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I re spool every year for the most part. I plan on reversion some braid this year and see how that works. I honestly only re tie when I need to. Either from swapping out to a different hook or bait or when the line or knot looks frayed. I don't lose a lot of gear either so it works for me.

The only exception to this is those cursed Ito 110's! I could re tie those after every cast and I still manage to lose a minimum on 1 a year...
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I run Braid and re-spool every year, unless it's on a combo that didn't see to many outings.

I also plan on running Sunline FX2 on one rod and Power pro on another, to see how they compare as the year goes on.
- Rick Ozga
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I use power pro and only re-spool every 2 or 3 years i fished with a Pro fisherman once and all his Powerpro was white in color and it was green when he spooled it on originally
Just because it loses it's color doesn't mean the line is garbage.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

fishin mission wrote:Just because it loses it's color doesn't mean the line is garbage.
Agreed,

Swapping out line at the beginning of every year was just a habit I got into.