Respooling----Every Year???

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Respooling----Every Year???

Post by zippyfx »

So two general take homes:

(i) re-spooling due to line loss or use issues (nicks, twists, knots, etc....)
(ii) re-spooling due to line quality.

With respect to braid:

point (i) is just common sense when you run low you need to top it off or replace. This should cover most cases of stripping line and cutting for twist and general wear from use.

point (ii), this goes directly to one of the key value proposition of braided line, that it holds up better than mono over time (less memory, etc...). For the non-competitive angler I would have to agree with fishin mission. Every couple of years should be suitable for most name brand braids.

I guess it's personal preference but re spooling often is alot of coin that could go to better fishing and non-fishing purchases.

my $0.02.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Line is probably one of the most underrated asset to successful fishing.
I attribute great importance to my fishing line.

Line coloration has its benefits, Braid - Green/brown for punching/flipping weeds…
Fluoro, low stretch but frays easier, low tolerance to heat/friction therefor the importance to wet your line before tying a knot.
I use very little mono, except on my topwater setups.

Fishing tournaments, if I was to lose big fish of the day because of frayed line, I would be very pee pee’d lol
That’s why I make sure after every snag or fish caught to re-tie. A habit that definitely paid off.

I can easily need to re-spool after a day’s outing depending on the use of that specific combo/reel.
This goes without saying, we keep all spools in the boat, the occasional “professional overruns” (birsnest) do happen. Lol0ol
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

i respool flouro maybe 2-3 times a year. braid lasts forever...i just flip the line when it runs low and use it as backing.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

TheMaverick wrote:Line is probably one of the most underrated asset to successful fishing.
I attribute great importance to my fishing line.

Line coloration has its benefits, Braid - Green/brown for punching/flipping weeds…
Fluoro, low stretch but frays easier, low tolerance to heat/friction therefor the importance to wet your line before tying a knot.
I use very little mono, except on my topwater setups.

Fishing tournaments, if I was to lose big fish of the day because of frayed line, I would be very pee pee’d lol
That’s why I make sure after every snag or fish caught to re-tie. A habit that definitely paid off.

I can easily need to re-spool after a day’s outing depending on the use of that specific combo/reel.
This goes without saying, we keep all spools in the boat, the occasional “professional overruns” (birsnest) do happen. Lol0ol
WOW how much time do you waist to re-tie watch an FLW show and count who many times they re tie or even check there line?
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Roughly 15 fish per day (on a good day)….30 seconds per knot…5 minutes/day. I don't see it as time wasted.
I use 12lbs Fluoro when cranking, and I crank a lot!
I rarely re-tie Braid.
Last edited by TheMaverick on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

cgates wrote:
WOW how much time do you waist to re-tie watch an FLW show and count who many times they re tie or even check there line?
Hey Chris,

You're a great angler (coming from your netman Big "O" and my observations over the years) so I say this with the utmost respect. Not retying on a regular basis is a false economy as it pertains to time. Your knot and the "working" end of your line (last few feet) are forever impacted by shock and abrasion. Subsequently the few moments which it takes to strip off a couple of feet and re-tie is time extremely well spent. This is even more important when you incorporate braid to fluoro connections. Knots under stress are forever tightening and will lose their "strength" as the day progresses particularly amongst bass fisherman with multiple combos. Our knots are continuously cycling between wet and dry physical conditions which further allows the knots to expand and contract and "tighten' as a result. Though it has been a number of years since I was objectively testing lines for Berkley, Triple-Fish and P-Line, I still have the data which supports my findings. I too wish that I didn't have to "waste" time re-tying but the numbers do not lie and the time required to replace a lost fish is magnitudes greater than the extra 20 minutes which you may spend over the course of a tournament day.

As for the Pros south of the border, trust me they too are re-tying throughout the day. Television is edited and though that monotonous aspect of fishing may have been left out, it is still happening. For your sake, I have both Brett Hite and Chris Lane on RBR this week and I will ask not "if" they re-tie but how frequently.

As for my take on re-spooling, the following is my current practice;

Braid - No more than once a year and only if the line has seen much usage. For example if I have been frogging a lot throughout the qualifiers, I will re-spool if that technique will be incorporated into the Classic (if I qualify of course). I have braid on a few spinning reels that are infrequently used and may not get re-spooled for a few years. That said, I only use braid on a few techniques, (1) Frogs, (2) Punching Mat, (3) 1 or 2 specialized finesse techniques.

Fluoro - I would say that 95% of my combos (spin & cast) are filled with 100% P-Line pure fluoro. Thankfully fluorocarbon is not affected by UV in the same manner as conventional co-polymers. As such I will monitor the performance of the line and may re-spool during the season if I feel that performance has been affected sufficiently. As an example my flipping rods (20lb FC) may get re-spooled if they have been "busy". As well if my t-rig senko rod encountered a nasty backlash I will re-spool. Bad backlashes have a tendency of "crimping" the line somewhere in the spool resulting in a very significant weak spot.

Mono - I still love conventional mono for a few techniques (top waters, spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits, square bills) and for these reasons it remains an integral part of my arsenal. In the old days, the deterioration of mono was significant and re-spooling all of my rods before the last day of practice was my routine. I add that I preferred to "use" the line once before the tournament hence re-spooling before my last practice day. As a competitor I really tried to avoid any situation of "unknown" and it seems that you never re-spool exactly the same way as you would cranking in a lure. To my delight, there's a new product from P-line called "Voltage" which is a conventional copolymer monofilament which is "UV" stabilized and after a couple of years of experimentation, I am extremely pleased with the results. The line has the strength and abrasion characteristics of their extremely popular"CXX" formula with considerably less line memory. Given that it is UV stabilized, I treat it like fluorocarbon and only re-spool when necessary.

Re-spooling can be a costly and time consuming exercise. In the interests of both time and money, make sure that you use "backing" to reduce the amount of line required to re-spool and the time it takes to do so. When was the last time you "saw" the middle of your spool? probably never so filling beyond that point is a waste.

Hope this helps.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

Paul Shibata wrote:
cgates wrote:
Hey Chris,

You're a great angler (coming from your netman Big "O" and my observations over the years) so I say this with the utmost respect. Not retying on a regular basis is a false economy as it pertains to time. Your knot and the "working" end of your line (last few feet) are forever impacted by shock and abrasion. Subsequently the few moments which it takes to strip off a couple of feet and re-tie is time extremely well spent. This is even more important when you incorporate braid to fluoro connections. Knots under stress are forever tightening and will lose their "strength" as the day progresses particularly amongst bass fisherman with multiple combos. Our knots are continuously cycling between wet and dry physical conditions which further allows the knots to expand and contract and "tighten' as a result. Though it has been a number of years since I was objectively testing lines for Berkley, Triple-Fish and P-Line, I still have the data which supports my findings. I too wish that I didn't have to "waste" time re-tying but the numbers do not lie and the time required to replace a lost fish is magnitudes greater than the extra 20 minutes which you may spend over the course of a tournament day.

As for the Pros south of the border, trust me they too are re-tying throughout the day. Television is edited and though that monotonous aspect of fishing may have been left out, it is still happening. For your sake, I have both Brett Hite and Chris Lane on RBR this week and I will ask not "if" they re-tie but how frequently.

Braid - No more than once a year and only if the line has seen much usage. For example if I have been frogging a lot throughout the qualifiers, I will re-spool if that technique will be incorporated into the Classic (if I qualify of course). I have braid on a few spinning reels that are infrequently used and may not get re-spooled for a few years. That said, I only use braid on a few techniques, (1) Frogs, (2) Punching Mat, (3) 1 or 2 specialized finesse techniques.

Fluoro - I would say that 95% of my combos (spin & cast) are filled with 100% P-Line pure fluoro. Thankfully fluorocarbon is not affected by UV in the same manner as conventional co-polymers. As such I will monitor the performance of the line and may re-spool during the season if I feel that performance has been affected sufficiently. As an example my flipping rods (20lb FC) may get re-spooled if they have been "busy". As well if my t-rig senko rod encountered a nasty backlash I will re-spool. Bad backlashes have a tendency of "crimping" the line somewhere in the spool resulting in a very significant weak spot.

Mono - I still love conventional mono for a few techniques (top waters, spinnerbaits, lipless crankbaits, square bills) and for these reasons it remains an integral part of my arsenal. In the old days, the deterioration of mono was significant and re-spooling all of my rods before the last day of practice was my routine. I add that I preferred to "use" the line once before the tournament hence re-spooling before my last practice day. As a competitor I really tried to avoid any situation of "unknown" and it seems that you never re-spool exactly the same way as you would cranking in a lure. To my delight, there's a new product from P-line called "Voltage" which is a conventional copolymer monofilament which is "UV" stabilized and after a couple of years of experimentation, I am extremely pleased with the results. The line has the strength and abrasion characteristics of their extremely popular"CXX" formula with considerably less line memory. Given that it is UV stabilized, I treat it like fluorocarbon and only re-spool when necessary.

Re-spooling can be a costly and time consuming exercise. In the interests of both time and money, make sure that you use "backing" to reduce the amount of line required to re-spool and the time it takes to do so. When was the last time you "saw" the middle of your spool? probably never so filling beyond that point is a waste.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Paul.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Paul Shibata wrote:
cgates wrote:
Hey Chris,

Hope this helps.
Very informative, as always!
Thanks Paul ;)
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Paul and Mav
I will say your are both right. I do retie just not that often maybe at most 2 times unless cut or broke( I guess could be my knot) but I also do NOT use fluro or mono because I get a ton of birds nest with it on spinning gear and I don't like it on casting gear. Let's get back to respoolling I'm sticking with my way cause if it ain't broke don't fix it lol
Paul thanks for the kind words I've worked hard to get where I'm at and still have lots to learn
Chris
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Renegade has it's own Encyclopedia.
It's known as the EncyclopeShibata.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wow you guys must be loaded. :lol:

Paul summed it up nicely. I'm perhaps not as anal as most but I do keep an eye for frays religiously. Fluro leads get more reties than mainlines.

Fluro and Mono setups get swapped every year with P-Line. Braid as needed depending on how much use that setup gets.

RJ
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

RJ wrote:Wow you guys must be loaded. :lol:
That's what I was thinkin! :lol: We need to start up our own line company!

New Mono and Flouro each season and I can usually squeeze 2 seasons out of my Braid and Superline depending on the use and abuse.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

So I'm NOT the only one
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Mono get changed once or twice a year. Braid lasts forever so that only gets changed when needed. Going to give flouro another go this year.
Pretty much use braid for everything now except crankbaits, I just tie on the appropriate leader.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Well at least with the current ice conditions there will be plenty of time to re spool your reels :D :D :D :D :D :lol: