Fishing line characteristics

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishing line characteristics

Post by bostonwhaler »

Hey guys.
What lines do you use for casting topwater. I use had a line that I could get a great deal of distance on when casting frogs and stuff. I actually thought it was the Rod/Real combo, but when I changed lines I noticed that I could only cast half as far.
Tips and advice for what lines do what would be great. Also tips on Bait/spinning real line choices would be nice.
thanks
Derek
Hollywood catches more perch than me
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing line characteristics

Post by fishin mission »

Derek:

i use power pro braided line and now they have the new silk by power pro you should have no problems at all getting your lure where you want it
good line. i will never go back. Used power pro now for about 5 yrs and don't want to use anything else.

Jeesh you think the guys from power pro would be calling me now offering me a free spool for the plug :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

fishin mission wrote:Derek:
i use power pro braided line and now they have the new silk by power pro

Jeesh you think the guys from power pro would be calling me now offering me a free spool for the plug :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
Don't think you'll be getting any free line! Power Pro SLICK not Silk. :D

I prefer 832 over any Power Pro. 832 starts out a little stiff but with a little use it goes limp. I prefer a 8 weave braid, they seem to be a bit rounder and quieter. I hate the original Power Pro to be way too course and way too loud for my liking, also bleeds. The Power Pro SLICK is smooth but I hate the waxy film over the line and I find it frays too much. Actually the smoothest, furthest casting, thinnest diameter braid I've ever used was Daiwa Samurai Braid but I hated how much it bleeds, more than an braid I've ever used.
You will find lots of different opinions on line for many different reasons, just try some and find one that works best for you.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Spiderwire Stelth is what I use 15lb on spinning and 50-65 on casting and let me tell you it will get out there. Do you have your baitcast reel set up right(spool tension) to give you your best cast with out a rats nest
Chris
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

cgates wrote:Do you have your baitcast reel set up right(spool tension) to give you your best cast with out a rats nest
Chris
Also, what is your setup your using?? Rod/Reel??
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

hey Cgates
It was actually on a spinning reel that this happened to me on. I do get tho that my curados need a bit of a tuning as well.
Hollywood catches more perch than me