Opinions on gear and line setup

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Opinions on gear and line setup

Post by campnfish »

First, TGIF.

1) I know that CT is not the best place to be buying fishing gear, but I am a poor lad, so its sale bin for me. I saw they had an Abu Garcia rod and reel combo, reg $79.99 on for $29.99. Thoughts on this product?

2) Now a question about line setup. I have been using snap swivels since I was a kid. My Dad would put them on my line so I could change my lures easily without having to re-tie every time. Recently a friend told me it kills lure action and that I would catch more fish without it. I like them because its easy to change the lures, but if its going to negatively affect my fishing then it has to go. Any advice on an alternate setup? If I tie direct do I have to worry about my line twisting?

3) I recently was given a Monterey (sp) 6.6' trolling rod, looks heavy duty, think its meant more for salt water fishing. I wanted to use some leaded line with it to troll for lakers. Any suggestions on a good reel for this purpose?

Thanks guys,

Chris
toned
Participant
Participant

Re: Opinions on gear and line setup

Post by toned »

campnfish wrote:First, TGIF.

1) I know that CT is not the best place to be buying fishing gear, but I am a poor lad, so its sale bin for me. I saw they had an Abu Garcia rod and reel combo, reg $79.99 on for $29.99. Thoughts on this product?

2) Now a question about line setup. I have been using snap swivels since I was a kid. My Dad would put them on my line so I could change my lures easily without having to re-tie every time. Recently a friend told me it kills lure action and that I would catch more fish without it. I like them because its easy to change the lures, but if its going to negatively affect my fishing then it has to go. Any advice on an alternate setup? If I tie direct do I have to worry about my line twisting?

3) I recently was given a Monterey (sp) 6.6' trolling rod, looks heavy duty, think its meant more for salt water fishing. I wanted to use some leaded line with it to troll for lakers. Any suggestions on a good reel for this purpose?

Thanks guys,

Chris
1- In my opinion, you get what you pay for...having said that, if you don't have high expectations, it may get the job done...I purchased a similar deal from CT last year to keep for when bringing the kids out, instead of letting them use my tackle and it worked fine...I threw a few casts with it and the rod felt like a noodle, and the reel felt rough, as one would expect from a 30$ rod and reel, but if that's all you can afford, then so be it...IF it craps out on you, I am sure if you go back to Canadian tire and try to have them exchange it for you...If you currently have a rod you can use, I would recommend saving up and getting a better setup.

2- I agree with your buddy about tying directly onto the line...I dislike the way swivels affect the action of my lures...If it helps you catch more fish, I can't say lol, but you get quick at tying the line, so it becomes less of an issue, but try it yourself next time you're out...cast and reel with and without a swivel and observe the action of the lure

3- unsure, i'll let someone else answer

just an FYI, If you need line, I was at le baron last week and they had a clearance on suffix (832 I believe) braid for 8$ a spool...they were at the cash
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

toned wrote:) I recently was given a Monterey (sp) 6.6' trolling rod, looks heavy duty, think its meant more for salt water fishing. I wanted to use some leaded line with it to troll for lakers. Any suggestions on a good reel for this purpose?
Chris the Penn 209 will work fine for that. it will hold about ten colours of 27lb lead core, a bit less if you went with 45.The 18 actually goes down best as it's the thinnest. I wouldn't buy a cheaper lower quality reel, specially if you drag #1 Big Hammers like I do. If you want to fish deeper than ten with up to 15+ colours(heaven forbid) you need to move up to the 309 size. Check the want ads. I've seen them there before often, and on here too a couple of times.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Here you go . 2 of them on kijiji for $50 each. I would go for the 309. Better too much than not enough. Looks unused almost.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping- ... nFlag=true

Here's the 209 ad. This guys says it's specifically for mono lol. Yea right, sure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Chris,

If, and only If, you can make it to Gatineau, StarTzar has a Shimano Carbomax that you can have for free! That or a Shimano Convergence.
They'll definitely get the job done!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

TheMaverick wrote:Chris,

If, and only If, you can make it to Gatineau, StarTzar has a Shimano Carbomax that you can have for free! That or a Shimano Convergence.
They'll definitely get the job done!
It's too late for that. I am going to donate the rods to Shawn.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

TheMaverick wrote:StarTzar has a Shimano Carbomax that you can have for free! That or a Shimano Convergence.
Ummmm... guys. Chris already has the rod, he's looking for advice on a reel.
Smitty

Straight shooter
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

smitty55 wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:StarTzar has a Shimano Carbomax that you can have for free! That or a Shimano Convergence.

Chris
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

smitty55 wrote:
He's inquiring about a combo...rod and reel, did I miss something? lol
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

Regarding swivels: I usually use a wire leader with swivels when lots of pike are around. I still catch bass/walleye. Granted, I am not in a tournament or anything like that, but it seems to me that for most situations the effect of a swivel on lure action is less important than getting the depth of the lure/bait right.

Also, if you are the type of person who likes to change lures frequently, and you don't like tying knots all day, by all means go with the swivel. For me half the fun of fishing is just getting out on the water. I try to minimize the things that frustrate me so that even if I don't catch anything on a given outing, I still have a good day in the boat.

Good luck this season
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

TheMaverick wrote:He's inquiring about a combo...rod and reel, did I miss something? lol
Wasn't that nice of Brad to point that out for you.

It would be obvious to most that I was referring to a lead core outfit, as he asked for advice on that. As for the combo advice, your posts had nothing to do with that so why bother posting if you can't answer his question.
Oh wait, I get it now. You and pops need to stay at the top of the posters list for the month. I should have guessed. You guys just keep posting your "funny" takes that don't pertain to the thread. They are so helpful and appreciated. :lol:
Smitty

Straight shooter
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

toned wrote:
just an FYI, If you need line, I was at le baron last week and they had a clearance on suffix (832 I believe) braid for 8$ a spool...they were at the cash
Will braid work on a "Lead Core Outfit" ?
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

smitty55 wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:He's inquiring about a combo...rod and reel, did I miss something? lol
Wasn't that nice of Brad to point that out for you.

It would be obvious to most that I was referring to a lead core outfit, as he asked for advice on that. As for the combo advice, your posts had nothing to do with that so why bother posting if you can't answer his question.
Oh wait, I get it now. You and pops need to stay at the top of the posters list for the month. I should have guessed. You guys just keep posting your "funny" takes that don't pertain to the thread. They are so helpful and appreciated. :lol:
WTF? :shock:
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Go for it ...
My Dad did the same thing. He used steel leaders. We were poor and losing lures to pikes was not an option.
All we had were spoons and pike did not really give a crap about the lure action.
That being said, You're friend is right about swivels affecting lure action ... but removing it will not make you catch more fish.
If you want to use snap swivels, go right ahead but keep in mind that it does affect the lures action.

Thanks guys,

Chris
Get yourself a brand new Penn 209. They are only $60.00

Here is my best advise for you
Before you spend any money on the Abu reel and Rod Combo or on a Penn reel (Used or new),
I would suggest that you make a trip to Paddletales in Winchester.
You may be surprised at what you can get from his "Bargain Bins"
Not to mention the wealth of information, which is always excellent, concise and free.
Last edited by StarTzar on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

smitty55 wrote: Here's the 209 ad. This guys says it's specifically for mono lol. Yea right, sure.

Cheers
That is the Penn 209M which I believe (but I certainly could be wrong) is suitable for monofilament (That is what the "M" stands for).

What he probably meant to say (This is open to interpretation as it is not very clear) was that even though there is a perception out there that Penn reels are only good for trolling with lead core line (Again open to interpretation), that this 209M Penn reel can also handle monofilament line. I also think (Here again I may be completely wrong) that you can actually cast with a Penn 209M reel. That is of course, if it is spooled with monofilament line.

The specs say that it can hold 320 yrs of 20 lbs test monofilament line.
The Specs say nothing about Lead Core line capacity. Does this mean that it can not be used with lead core line?

You should contact the seller and ask him if he ever spooled the reel with lead core line.