Opinions on gear and line setup

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Opinions on gear and line setup

Post by StarTzar »

smitty55 wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:He's inquiring about a combo...rod and reel, did I miss something? lol
Wasn't that nice of Brad to point that out for you.

It would be obvious to most that I was referring to a lead core outfit, as he asked for advice on that. As for the combo advice, your posts had nothing to do with that so why bother posting if you can't answer his question.
Oh wait, I get it now. You and pops need to stay at the top of the posters list for the month. I should have guessed. You guys just keep posting your "funny" takes that don't pertain to the thread. They are so helpful and appreciated. :lol:

Have I answered the OP to your satisfaction? :wink:
I'd like to know because I want to get back to posting "funny" takes that don't pertain to the threads. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I sure would like for campnfish to chime in and let us know what he's decided to do?

1) Have we interpreted your questions correctly?
2) Is the information that we are giving useful?
3) Can we offer more help?
4) Do you have any more questions?

and lastly,

5) Do you appreciate the "funny takes" ? 8)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

smitty55 wrote:As for the combo advice, your posts had nothing to do with that so why bother posting if you can't answer his question.
It would also be obvious to a few, that a 29.99 combo will be complete utter crapolla!

What kind of breaking system is implemented in this reel? magnetic, centrifugal?
Do you remember the model?
Any reviews online?
Are we talking baitcast or spinning outfit?

It was also obvious, to me anyways, that my post insinuated the combo is not worth buying, therefor I respectfully offered him a couple of rods.
Unfortunately, the rods had already been spoken for.

In all seriousness, (no funny takes allowed) the lad on a budget shares a passion we all love, fishing!

In occurrence, I'd like to apologize as I baffled everyone on this forum.
With that being said, and to make it up to you Chris, I'll give you a Shimano Crucial (older model) and a Plano Flipsider Tackle Bag (with cases).

In hopes this helps you out, straight shoot me a pm, we'll arrange for pick up. ;)

As for the reel, I highly suggest you make the trip to Paddletales.....the bin is full of quality baitcasters within your price range.
If you don't like to re-tie, use the swivels.
As for the trolling gear....I only troll on forums, all I need is a keyboard. ;) You'd be better off sponging off Smitty's advice.

**Note to StarTaz** Stop posting you A$$WIPE....Now you've gone and taken the lead again :?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

TheMaverick wrote:
**Note to StarTaz** Stop posting you A$$WIPE....Now you've gone and taken the lead again :?
If Chris Campnfish don't answer before tomorrow "High noon" I'll take the rod. :wink:
... and arrangements for pickup better be in Gatineau or at your place of work. 8)

As for the tackle bag, I could use it to store my A$$WIPEs :lol:
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

Nice offer, Mav! :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

you know Maverick it would be more helpful if you confined your comments to things you know a lot about. for example you are clearly a knowledgeable guy on bass fishing and equipment for that species.

do you think this combo is intended for bass fishing? it probably isn't.

do you know anything about this SPECIFIC combo? from your response it doesn't seem so. there are lots of decent combos on the market in the 80 - 120 range that do an admirable job for a variety of fishing situations. this combo is from Abu and it's non sale price is in that 80 - 120 range. Abu makes lots of decent equipment. Maybe, just maybe, for that price point and for specific purposes this might be ok gear and for a guy that specified he is on a budget it might be a great buy.

just saying.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Mick wrote:
do you know anything about this SPECIFIC combo? from your response it doesn't seem so.
Nope, that's why i asked for the model.
Not even sure if it's spinning or baitcast.
Chris didn't specify.

My offer still stands.
Slap a Lew's on the Crucial and you have a combo that will last you for years to come.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

TheMaverick wrote:
Mick wrote:
do you know anything about this SPECIFIC combo? from your response it doesn't seem so.
Nope, that's why i asked for the model.
Not even sure if it's spinning or baitcast.
Chris didn't specify.

My offer still stands.
Slap a Lew's on the Crucial and you have a combo that will last you for years to come.
Wow - thanks for the advice everyone! I will take you up on your generous offer Maverick, PM to follow. The combo I was looking at was a spinning combo at CT. I did pick it up, figured at that price even if it sucks I can make do.

I usually fish for trout if I can find them, specks, rainbows and lakers. I also like to fish for walleye and the occasional bass. I've got a light rod I use with 6lb test for the trout and now a heavy one to use with a Penn reel and some leaded line. The crappy Abu Garcia will fill in when needed, and now this rod from Maverick can be my main go-to. That tackle bag looks very useful for the long hikes into the back lakes with a canoe on my head.

You guys have more than answered my questions about the line setup. I gather its more of a preference thing...I might soon be that guy that has more than one rod in the boat! I know some of you may laugh at that, but that's the fishing I know.....roasting in a tin boat with a fishing rod older than you, Mitchell spinning reel and questionable 8lb mono, trolling for monsters.

Again, I appreciate the replies - tight lines!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

campnfish wrote:I might soon be that guy that has more than one rod in the boat! I know some of you may laugh at that, but that's the fishing I know.....roasting in a tin boat with a fishing rod older than you, Mitchell spinning reel and questionable 8lb mono, trolling for monsters.
^^^ this! Right on Chris!

As for the "crappy" Abu combo....don't sweat it, as long as it gets the job done and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
I tend to go overboard...a tackle hoe's addiction!

As far as the PM, please use 389dufour@gmail.com
Glad I could help! ;)
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I used to cast musky/large pike lures with a Penn 209 with mono using a 8 foot downrigger rod ( I know it was not the best setup but in the early 80s that is what was done) but you really had to keep your thumb on the spool or you were into a nasty backlash.