Advice Sought: Getting set up with a good tackle box system

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
howie
Participant
Participant

Advice Sought: Getting set up with a good tackle box system

Post by howie »

Hey,
Would like to improve on my cheap plastic tackle box with a hodge podge tangle of lures, leaders, and disorganization. I started last year thanks to my kind bass fishing buddy to start to get a clue about fishing with a little more game than I'd done in the past. Really finding getting the hang of a bait caster and soft plastics a whole lot of fun. Now I want to get my s*** together in terms of a decent tackle box system. Appreciate this will be heavy personal preference but really interested in what people have adopted to keep their tackle organized.

Was gonna ask about recommended lures and such before loading up my future new tackle box but see there is a lot of posts on that here so will spend some time reading that. Not looking for everybody one's "secret weapons" when in comes to lures, just want to narrow the search pattern before I head off shopping for some new stuff to kick off the season.

Grateful for any advice, suggestions, etc.

Cheers,

Howie
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Advice Sought: Getting set up with a good tackle box sys

Post by toobinator »

Howie: My boat has built in tray holders so I personally don't have much recent experience with tackle boxes. However, at the store the most popular is a soft sider system. This basically is a canvas bag that 3700 sized trays will fit into. There are pockets on the sides that will hold smaller trays and/or loose tackle, as well as pockets for scent bottles, glasses etc. The beauty of this system is that you can switch out trays for whatever species you are fishing for. I have the BPS bags in stock, as well as various sizes of standard hard tackle boxes.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Gidday Howie,

Topwater
The Rebel Pop R is always a classic, Duo pencil 110, Deps Buzzjet, Arbogast Buzz Plug, Koppers Frogs and the long forgotten underrated Moss Boss.

Wakebaits
Mann’s 1 minus, Ima roumba

Jerkbaits
Vision 110’s, Luck-E-Strike RC’s will do a similar job as the 110’s for a fraction of the price, Jackall Squad minnow.

Cranks
So many to choose from, but if I had to pick one, it would be the KVD 2.5’s

Plastics
Again, too many to choose from without going into specifics, last year’s favorite was the Power team lures sick sticks, Strike king Rage tails, Zoom horny toads (really taking a liking to Zoom for worms and toads).

Hoping to try the Damiki air frog this year, Jackal iprop and the Deps Spiral minnow….and then some lol

As for tackle storage, I tend to stick with Plano utility boxes for hardbaits and plastics stay in the original packaging.

Not sure where you're located, but If you're looking to stock up, I'd suggest you make the trip to Paddletales.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Ed's information is really good. I used to have a really nice hard tacklbox but found it filled up fast and was cumbersome to transportstore in my boat. last year, I went to a soft sided bag. I decided this year to use my boat as the tacklebox and if I am going fishing with a friend, I will use the bag to transport it into the other boat.

The nice thing about the 3700 series boxes is that if you fill one up, just guy buy another. And when you have more than will fit into your bag, just grab the boxes of stuff that you know you will be using that day.

Mav's list of lures is pretty good to start. I also enjoy using buzzbaits (Cavitron are my favorite) and Mizmo tubes. I don't know why, I just prefer these over anything else I have tried.

Head to paddletals on a thursday night. there are tonnes of knowledgable people there who will be able to help you that night.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

i use a soft bag and i put in 3 3700 boxes and a bag of plastics. Simple and easy. As for lures i would say 2-3 of each technique is good enough. Plastics - senkos, craws, creatures, drop shot plastics, horny toads, and soft swimbaits.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Get one of these to start - can always add another later on.
Several sizes to choose from.

http://www.basspro.com/Organized-Fishin ... 202231129/

Before long you'll have a ton of plastics. This is the method that I use to sort them.
http://www.wired2fish.com/7-simple-step ... c-storage/

I put them all into a large under bed storage box like this
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kis-o ... 43aMGT65g8
I have a couple - they stack well and are strong.

Alternatively these are cheap - not as strong but stack well, good for home storage but I wouldn't pack them about.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kis-o ... 43agmT65g8
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Tackle Organization

Step 1:
Buy tons of Plano/Flambeaux containers: all sizes 3600 3700 etc You will need them(See step 2)

Step 2:
When buying tackle buy in multiples.
Don't buy one spinnerbait buy 6.
Don't buy one bag of senkos in 956 colour buy 6.
Don't buy one lucky craft pointer in ghost minnow - buy 6 (There's pike in them there lakes that loves expensive baits.

Step 3: Don't tell wife. If wife complains that you don't need more than one bag of baits - point out shoes/dresses/clothes she owns AND HAS NEVER WORN!

Now that you have the tackle (we will cover rods and reels in another thread) Lets discuss step 4

BUY A BOAT (or a bigger one if you already own one) You will need to carry around all the plastic and hard body baits you purchased thursday night at ED's.

If you re-read Ed's (toobinator) post you will see he is subtley hinting that the best tackle box is a boat. Specifically his at the end of the season when he is going to upgrade his boat.

Next steps:

Rods and reels, anyone can fish with just one rod and reel to be a true zen master tackle junkie whore, you need 33 different rods and reels to cover almost every technique and situation.
Last edited by CNs on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

CN wrote:Tackle Organization

Step 1:
Buy tons of Plano/Flambeaux containers: all sizes 3600 3700 etc You will need them(See step 2)

Step 2:
Don't buy one lucky craft pointer in ghost minnow - buy 6 (There's pike in them there lakes that loves expensive baits.

Step 3: Don't tell wife. If wife complains that you don't need more than one bag od baits - point out shoes/dresses/clothes she owns NAD HAS NEVER WORN!

Now that you have the tackle (we will cover rods and reels in another thread) Lets discuss step 4

BUY A BOAT (or a bigger one if you already own one) You will need to carry oaround all the plastic and hard body baits you purchased thursday night at ED's.

If you re-read Ed's (toobinator) post yo will see he is subtley hinting that the best tacle box is a boat. Specifically his at the end of the season when he is going to upgrade his boat.

Next steps:

Rods and reels, anyone can fish with just one rod and reel to be a true zen master tackle junkie whore, you need 33 different rods and reels to cover almost every technique and situation.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3: Don't tell wife. If wife complains that you don't need more than one bag od baits - point out shoes/dresses/clothes she owns NAD HAS NEVER WORN!

BUY A BOAT (or a bigger one if you already own one) You will need to carry oaround all the plastic and hard body baits you purchased thursday night at ED's.

If you re-read Ed's (toobinator) post yo will see he is subtley hinting that the best tacle box is a boat. Specifically his at the end of the season when he is going to upgrade his boat.

Next steps:

:)
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Step 3: Don't tell wife. If wife complains that you don't need more than one bag of baits - point out shoes/dresses/clothes she owns AND HAS NEVER WORN!
I had a nightmare once.... I dreamt my wife sold my fishing stuff for the price I told her I paid it for it.....

Sends shivers up my back....
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

The cheapest way I organize my tackle is simple. I use a gym bag(a new one :lol: ) and it holds 4 plano 3700's and 2 3600's and I have everything labelled. It also can hold my tools and my jacket. I tried to set everything up as if I was a Co-angler. I hate not knowing where stuff is and a cluttered mess. Plus I like to spend more time fishing then looking for a lure.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

CN: There is no upgrade from a Ranger 521. :lol:
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Step 1:

Step 2:

BUY A BOAT (or a bigger one if you already own one) You will need to carry around all the plastic and hard body baits you purchased thursday night at ED's.

If you re-read Ed's (toobinator) post you will see he is subtley hinting that the best tackle box is a boat. Specifically his at the end of the season when he is going to upgrade his boat.

Next steps:

We never seem to have enough storage space in our boat. :?
Sooooooooooo, I'm seriously thinking of dragging a dinghy this year. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote:

Step 1:
Buy tons of Plano/Flambeaux containers: all sizes <a href="tel:3600 3700">3600 3700</a> etc You will need them(See step 2)

Step 2:

Next steps:

We never seem to have enough storage space in our boat. :?
Sooooooooooo, I'm seriously thinking of dragging a dinghy this year. 8)
I say time to step up the the z521 then! I am sure Mav wouldn't mind :lol:

CN has some great comments there though. Multiple are always a good idea. I don't live far from Paddletales so if I lose something, it is easily replaced. It does suck when you lose it and the fish were smashing that particular color. I don't know how many 110 jerkbaits in the deadly black illusion I have bought over the years. Definitely a confidence bait for me.