Baitcaster combo 101 advice needed.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
azabache
Participant
Participant

Baitcaster combo 101 advice needed.

Post by azabache »

Hi FIshawk members,
So in previous email I had commented about looking for a basic baitcaster rod, reel for my son. He is 10, really loves to fish with Dad & does great job of casting , so far this year has surpassed his goal of catching pike/ musky.
What is a basic baitcaster for a young lad? He started off 3 yrs. ago with a Walmart red Zebco spinning outfit, moved to Daiwa D shock series combos, 5.6 light to a 6.6 Medium. I would like to keep price to 100-140.00
He seems to do better with a lighter set up,

Thanks in advance for your input,

Azabache.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Baitcaster combo 101 advice needed.

Post by ShawnD »

azabache wrote:Hi FIshawk members,
So in previous email I had commented about looking for a basic baitcaster rod, reel for my son. He is 10, really loves to fish with Dad & does great job of casting , so far this year has surpassed his goal of catching pike/ musky.
What is a basic baitcaster for a young lad? He started off 3 yrs. ago with a Walmart red Zebco spinning outfit, moved to Daiwa D shock series combos, 5.6 light to a 6.6 Medium. I would like to keep price to 100-140.00
He seems to do better with a lighter set up,

Thanks in advance for your input,

Azabache.
Hi, is he a Lefty? ( When reeling in he uses his right hand to retrieve and left hand to hold the rod)
I've got some older Quantum reels, I still use a lot of them and I keep them in top shape. I'll give you one.

Let me know.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Azabache: Where are you located. If you are close to Paddletales I can put together baitcast combos starting from about $80.00. With the purchase comes baitcasting 101 if he needs some help.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Excellent offers from both Shawn and Ed.
Baitcasting 101 from Ed would be excellent.
azabache
Participant
Participant

Post by azabache »

Hi Shawn D , Super & Ed,
Thank you all for the offers. I live in downtown Ottawa & need to plan a trip with Junior to visit Ed & the Legendary Paddletails Team !
Some friends at my wife's work are also impressed with his fishin passion & are bringing over their fishing gear that has not been used in a while this weekend, so we will see first what they have generously donated, rod, tackle, reel etc.

Shawn D, he is a righty, right hand to hold the rod, retrieves with is left.
:?: Does this make a big difference for someone starting out with a new method of fishing? Both of us have noticed many baitcasters ( Sail, LB, BPS. etc.) are right-handed, but since Shawn D has asked & you can't switch the handles on a baitcaster (left /right) like on our spinning reels, would you suggest learning to use a baitcaster that is a Lefty? :mrgreen:

Thanks again for your advice , Junior says " Hi to Fishhawk" & thanks to Big C for the link to Muskiescanada.com & the Ottawa valley Muskie club !

Azabache & Junior.
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

It seems to me that there is some confusion with the whole righty, lefty thing here. If you turn the handle on the reel with your right hand, that would be considered right handed or "righty". If you turn the handle on the reel with your left hand, that would be considered left handed or "lefty". Jon
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

When you come in the store to purchase your first baitcaster, part of the process is to put a left and right handed reel (I stock good numbers of both) on rods and have the customer reel. Then we can determine which hand you are more comfortable with.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Pm me if you want to come pick it up, I have a reel with your name on it.
Be sure to visit Ed's store as well, there's no other store like his around! I can assure you :!:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I went through this exact process with my girlfriend last year when she wanted to make the jump to a baitcaster. Brought her to see Ed, he figured out which "handed" she was and set her up with a great combo in her price range. She had a great experience and loves her Lew's/Compre combo. Ed must have given her one heck of a baitcaster 101 because i have never had to pick a birds nest out of her reel. I would never ever buy a rod and reel anywhere but Paddletale's.