Tips on using a bottom bouncer set up?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tips on using a bottom bouncer set up?

Post by Kerrazy »

So I picked up a bottom bouncer last year in hopes of getting on some walleyes. Well today I caught my first fish on it. Not a walleye. And then donated it to the Ottawa river gods. Not intentionally.
So went to my local tackle fellow here on the dark side and bought 4 more. 2 of each if different weights. 1.5 oz and 2oz.
I believe my last one was 3oz and was, as you will all tell me way to heavy.
Any how, what I do know is its long weighted spring leg drags along the bottom letting you know you are down there.
I suspect I was unsuccessful with the previous one as it was to heavy and difficult to feel a soft walleye bite.
Should I use a really long walleye rig like 30-36"'s or does this length make a difference.
Thanks for input
I am trying to get this stuff sorted out. Lol
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Tips on using a bottom bouncer set up?

Post by Roblin »

Bottom bouncing is killer for Walleye. The trick is use as light a bouncer as you can for the conditions. So on a clam day use a lighter bouncer. Your line should be about 45 degrees to the bottom so the bouncer wire is rubbing along the bottom. Not too much line, just enough. You'll feel the bottom scraping when your doing it right. I use my bow mounter trolling motor to get the right speed. I like about 1.2 to 1.6 kph. I find the slower I go the more fish I catch. I basically only go fast enough to make my lure blade spin and no more. I tie my own worm harnesses. I use about 3 to 4 ft of 15 lb test fluorocarbon line. I use chartreuse colour blades and chartreuse beads. I make sure the lead bead is red. Between the beads I use a small chartreuse coloured float. This keeps my harness just off the bottom and cuts down on snags. I tie my hooks close together. My trailing hook is a small treble. With the hooks close together I only use half a worm. My bait goes further and the little fish don't bother it as much. I've never had a problem with soft bites. The walleye nail my harness. I do usually hookup on the treble.
You should try tying your own harnesses. You can get the parts on the internet and they're cheap. I use different bead combo's until I find a killer. Hard to believe but arranging your beads makes a difference. Best part is catching fish while everyone else is trying to figure out what I'm doing. If the ask me what I'm using, I give them a worm harness. People aren't use to having something given to them. Makes their day as well as mine.

Good luck.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Hey Roblin,
Thanks for the thorough response.
I felt just the other day the scraping you mention. And I suspect my previous bouncer was just to darn heavy.
I picked up a couple of ready made worm harnesses today as well as a couple pikeral rigs.
I am really lookin forward to giving them a go.
Thanks again
Kerrazy
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Roblin wrote: People aren't use to having something given to them. Makes their day as well as mine.

Good luck.
You just made Dale's day. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

Try using a Lindy rig instead of a bottom bouncer, they do the same thing
and it's a lot less of a hassle to fish with. Plus it has a rattle in it.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

An ounce for each 10 feet of water is a good calculation. Like others have said, your line needs to enter the water at 45deg for the bouncer to do its job properly. I like using a Slow Death hook (from Mustad) off of a bottom bouncer.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again