Lookin' for a pithching/flipping stick

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lookin' for a pithching/flipping stick

Post by Alby »

Hey everyone,

Lookin' to learn how to pitch this summer, havn't done much if any of it before.

I've got a pretty good reel for it (Revo Winch SX HS 7.1:1 ) , and now looking for a rod.

I don't want to break the bank on my first pitching rod. But I also realize you get what you pay for.

Anyone have any experience or opinions about the Shimano Crucial pitching/flipping stick as a starting point? Lookin' to spend about $150 bucks , give or take a bit.

I'll be heading to Paddletales soon, and I know I'll find something at Ed's that I'll be happy with. Just lookin' to chat a bit, before I do some shopping...

Any help would be great boys.

Bass season seems so damn far away !!!

Thanks, Bryan
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lookin' for a pithching/flipping stick

Post by jona38 »

I have an Abu Garcia Villain 7'3'' heavy that I'm looking to sell. It would match your reel and is in new condition. Jon
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping- ... nFlag=true
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I had the 7'5" Heavy flipping stick and found it to be unbalanced and very very tip heavy, if your looking for a stick for pitching 3/8-1/2oz jigs/plastics look into the 7'2" MH Xfast it was one of my favorites in the line up. The Dobyns Savvy SS735/SS766 Flip would also be fantastic sticks for what your looking to acheive,all of which mentioned can be found at Paddletales which currently has the Crucials on special clear out pricing.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Here is what you should do.

1) Grab your reel
2) Grab the bait you want / will use
3) Get in your car
4) select the proper driving music
5) Crap Did mention to put on clothes?
6) Go back in house and get dressed.
7) Get back in car, start car.
8) Go to Ed's
9) Have him select a range of rods ( Gloomis, Dobyns, Crucials etc) that would meet your criteria.
10) Try them all with your reel. Ed will let you flip out in the parking lot. Don't do 1 or 2 do a lot with each rod
11) Don't aim at the cars, they are not targets.
12) Buy what you like. I have a 7'11" St Croix pitching rod that felt like crap (I built it). Fishes much different. Don't look at price.
13) Wait till bass season, start pitching/flipping
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

CN wrote:Here is what you should do.

1) Grab your reel
2) Grab the bait you want / will use
3) Get in your car
4) select the proper driving music
5) Crap Did mention to put on clothes?
6) Go back in house and get dressed.
7) Get back in car, start car.
8) Go to Ed's
9) Have him select a range of rods ( Gloomis, Dobyns, Crucials etc) that would meet your criteria.
10) Try them all with your reel. Ed will let you flip out in the parking lot. Don't do 1 or 2 do a lot with each rod
11) Don't aim at the cars, they are not targets.
12) Buy what you like. I have a 7'11" St Croix pitching rod that felt like crap (I built it). Fishes much different. Don't look at price.
13) Wait till bass season, start pitching/flipping
X2 :|
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

My suggestion to you is to properly differentiate your flipping from pitching needs.
Flipping usually involves a technique specific rod over 7'5" or so.

Pitching is a more “versatile” technique, you can probably pull double duty with a pitching rod, and they are usually easier to handle and will balance out better as well.

The only time I’d consider a Flipping rod is to punch mats….heavy weedy mats.

X2 for the Dobyns Savyy, then again the Champions are a step up and has many models to choose from.
Best time to head down to Ed’s is on Thursday’s…you’ll have a full field of knowledgeable anglers to your disposal.

P.S. I like the Dobyns because they offer full cork handles and the warranty is very very hard to beat.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Hey Bryan,

I will echo the Savvy 735 or Champion 735. Both rods are very well made and the warranty is great.

I use a Champion Extreme 745 for my pitching needs.

One thing that hasn't been discussed and is a personal preference is that a lot of people will use a lefty reel (or opposite hand than normal) for pitching so they don't have to switch hands.Because you are making short casts and a lot of the time the bass hit on the fall, it just helps with not missing the fish.

I personally use a core 100mgfv (right handed) with a instagage II so if I do feel a hit while on the fall, I can engage with my right and set the hook before switching hands to reel. Simano doesn't make these reels anymore but you cn still find Castaics (also discontinued) with the instagage II system.

The winch may be a little too much for pitching but the Revo S I sold you is quite capable of the task and has 3 pitching brakes on the inside. Just a thought.

Let us know what you end up with!

Adam
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

Gents,

Went down to Ed's yesterday, and bought my pitching stick. Decided to go with a 7'11 Heavy X-Fast Shimano Crucial. Ed's got great specials on these right now.

It'll be paired up with the Revo Winch I mentioned.

Ed and I spoke about the length of the stick, versus a shorter rod. I understand if you have a weaker wrist strength, I guess a shorter rod would be better.
I decided to go with a longer rod to start off with. Every inch counts (at least that's what the wife says). Actually, my reasoning for going I with the longer rod, was because of the added leverage from the bow, when jigging or lifting one out. Make sense?

I also picked up a few Triple Rattleback jigs, but Lunker Lure, and Strike King's Rage Craw soft plastic.

Lookin' forward to season opener.

Thanks again for your help and opinions gents. Any other comments ideas are always welcome. Lookin' to have fun with it, and always learning.

Bryan
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Good stuff, if you ever feel that 7,11 is too long you can always use it as a Frog rod.

Shorter rods help you get into tight quarters easier. :idea: Under docks..etc.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The Crucials for the price he has them on for are a great deal.

The 7'11 should also work well for Flipping and punching matts if it is stout enough to pull them out of the thickest stuff there is!!!

Enjoy your new toy!