Eye repair

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Eye repair

Post by el_caboing »

So I was out with the kids a few weeks ago for some perch. I was using a reel that was spooled with braid and attached a perch rig to it. Well I got a fair sized perched, pulled it up and the line broke. Hmm I said to myself. Retied everything again casted out and then noticed when I would reel in it wouldn't be too smooth. I thought that the reel itself was the issue where the line goes into the bail so I put it aside and forgot about it. The other day I took a closer look and found that the eye at the tip of the rod has a groove in it. I'm assuming it's from trolling for walleye last year with it. The rod is an quantum something not sure what model that I bought used a few years back. Now my question is can anything be done to smooth it out? I was shocked that it actually wore a groove in it. I have an old shimano rod that has to be close to 15 years old now that I have used with braid and not one issue. Should I just cut my losses and get another one?

Steve
BobbyJordan
Participant
Participant

Re: Eye repair

Post by BobbyJordan »

I have taken a few rods to Ed at Paddletales to replace guides. It is really reasonably priced and he can usually fix it while you wait.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

BobbyJordan wrote:I have taken a few rods to Ed at Paddletales to replace guides. It is really reasonably priced and he can usually fix it while you wait.
If Ed can't fix it, he has someone that does excellent repair work on rods.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

StarTzar wrote:
BobbyJordan wrote:I have taken a few rods to Ed at Paddletales to replace guides. It is really reasonably priced and he can usually fix it while you wait.
If Ed can't fix it, he has someone that does excellent repair work on rods.
X2 I have a rod I've got to pick up and another to drop off.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

LeBaron sells easy DIY replacement guide kits for a few bucks.
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

If braid is cutting into the guides than it is a low and rod and as such may not be worth the repair. Definitely do not use braid in it again.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken