So.... Did the stuff you bought work out?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

So.... Did the stuff you bought work out?

Post by CNs »

Follow up to the earlier thread about the stuff you were looking forawrd to try.

Busted the cherry on two new rods: The Dobyns 805 cb and DX742 drop shot. also switched up the Savvy 702sf

1) 805 CD matched with a lews bb1 5.1 and Super SC floro 12 lbs. What a beast of a rod. made some of my longest casts with as manns Minus 1.

1st cast was to dial in the reel. 2nd cast was to just fine tune it.
3rd cast -> 3lb smallie. Gotta love it when it doesn't take a long time to baptize a rod. The rod has great feel, and solidly set the hook. Definitely one of my new favourites. It balanced well and was not tiring to use. Will fit in with my 765RM CB for lighter lures. The CB bite disppeared quickly as I think we hit into a small school that moved after we nailed three in a row. I decided to try a different lure (SK 1.5 or something like that) while it (I) did not cast as far as with it as with the larger and heavier Manns it still ws impresive that I could launch a CB that far. Might make a real nice frog rod as well, paired with a Chronarch 7.8.1 retrieve.

2) DX742. I was really looking to see if I have found another DS rod as much as I love my SIMAX DS rod . I have built 3 DS rods (2 Baitcast models and a spinning model) all on St Croix Legend Tournament blanks). While I liked my custom rods I really like the Simax. I was looking for something longer to the simax but not as heavy as thier Ge=reat lakes Model DS rod. The DObyns DX 742 seemed to fit the bill.

This is a7'4" rod - long by DS standards matched with a Shimano C14 and Nanofil 12lb test. This would be a beter "heavy" drop shot rod. Using light weights and lures it was not a sensitive as I expected. I am spoiled by the sensitivity and strength of the Simax rod. This woud be a great Jig /Shakeyhead and tube rod.Not so sure it is a great DS rod. Will need to fish with it a lot more.

The Savvy 702 DS rod was not a great DS rod. Not sensitive enough for my liking. Switched it toa Wacky rod and it showed itself up. Matched with a DAIWA Aird reel with 30 lb Power Pro. This is a great wascky rod.would probaly make a good light jig rod.

Also tried my new chronarch 7.8 retrieve on a custom ST croix Sweeper Spinnerbait rod (made by me). All I can say is WOW! Does this setup launch a spinnerbait, and does it ever retrieve it quickly. So fast I turned the spinnerbait into a topwater bait. I know how the rod works as I have used it for several seasons just need to wait for the fish to move a little shallower so I can try using a spinnerbait.

Have some new baits I haven't tried yet will report on them when I get a chance.

Okay Guys your turn
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: So.... Did the stuff you bought work out?

Post by ShawnD »

I for one am really enjoying my boat, though I'm not completely done, it's functional and it works great.
The Talon is awesome to!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I'm loving the new Triton gear wise the METHG is a pleasure to fish, spooled with #12 mono on the 684cb it launches a 112MR flawlessly. The New Curado I is also no slouch casting everything from 3/4oz blades to weightless senkos it can do it all,I'm very happy with the new Shimano breaking sysytem.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Love my Chronarch CI4 on a Crucial crankbait rod. Using at my swimbait combo.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Oh, this could take a bit.

I reported back on a few of my new acquisitions on the other post but seeing as I used most of the combos on Saturday, I will give a bit of an update and add some stuff here. These are my personal opinions so some people may not agree.

Dobyns DX743 with Shimano Matanium HG with 17lb flourocarbon. I went back and forth regarding the rod between a DX742 and the DX743. Glad I went (or was given) a 743. I fished it Saturday with a Texas rigged tube with a 3/8oz weight. The rod exceeded my expectations in the sensitivity department and I found myself setting the hook on weeds with almost every cast. When I finally got a real bite, the rod loaded up nicely and was still plenty powerfully to haul in the bass. The more I use the Met, the more I like it. I now beleive it may actually be slightly more refined than the chronarch CI4+ And I am loving the extra length the handle provides.

Orochi XX Jerkbait Special. This rod continues to amaze me and I love how smooth the CI4+ truly is. I didn't catch anything on it on Saturday but I only used it with a walk the Dog bait for a few minutes.

Dobyns Champion 734c with Curado 200I. I knew what to expect with this rod. I have had it for years and would have a hard time letting it go. The Curado I however was my Father's Day gift and what a gift it was. I have it spooled with Mono. I didn't catch anything with this either but it was used to try out the Molix Lover vibrating Jig. The reel is impressive compared to my 200E. I was surprised with how smooth this reel was and at how far it casts. It is definitely more refined than my 200e but it is not going anywhere either. The Molix is a nice lure and I do like the action of it but I will reserve judgement until I figure out how to catch fish with them. We didn't fish any docks or areas where I could run the bait into structure so that will be where I try it next.

Lunkerhunt frog. I tied the new lunkerhunt frog on to my new to me champion 735. I was impressed by the rod but not so much with the bait. Again no fish were caught on the rod but it behaves a little different than my previous Savvy 735 which is what I was hoping for.

As for the frog, I will be sticking with Koppers for these! The lunkerhunt fowled a few times and filled with water quite quickly. I watched the video before I bought this frog and no matter how fast I retrieved the frog, I could not get the legs to work the way they did in the video. And getting back to how they fowled, I had the hook shift so that one was between the two legs and the other in a not so weedles area about 1/4 inch off the body. After correcting that, the following cast the hook actually buruid itself in the side of the body. I would have been alright with that if a fish blew up on it or I had gotten it stuck on something, but this occurred by just casting the bait out and retrieving it like a frog should be retrieved.

I think that is it for now.

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

There’s 2 ways to get them creative juices flowing,

1. Hints of malted barley and roasted nuttiness, deep mahogany color, capped with a relatively stout mass of brownish mouth watering foam.
2. A steady, mellow, soulful melancholy vibe.

My crazy cool cats, get them fingers clapping for this nifty duo…

MegaBass EMTF & Daiwa Tatula 8.1 Type R

The back bone on this rod is ridiculous, but it also has a very forgiving tip.
This is mainly what I was looking for in regards to flinging my horny toads, buzz baits and spinnerbaits.
I previously had a 734c and it just didn’t have the back bone required to my specifications and conditions I fish my toads.

The Tatula is the type of reel that simply grows on you.
Although the tolerances aren’t quite as refined, it’s one helluva casting reel.
Built like a tank with a stock 90 mils handle….you know that thing will winch them out of the thickest rhubarb.
Liked it so much, purchased the regular version as well and paired it with the DX745.

Gather around and moving on up….next on stage…

DX683 & Daiwa SS SV

Simply the best rod, by far, I’ve handled since I’ve been fishing.
Balanced incredibly well, it’s my go to Senko\weightless plastics and will pull double duty as a topwater rod.
Tapper and action is very similar to the DX743, but the difference in length makes it that much more confortable to fish with.

The SS SV is an amazing reel, the combination of the SV spool and Magforce Z is a thing of beauty.
The spool spins as if it was set to free spool and as soon as the lure starts it’s descent, that’s where the Mag Z shines.
Barely any thumbing needed, the reel does it for you. Tolerances are tight, no play whatsoever.
I do need to get accustomed to the type of fishing they are intended for….it’s slightly more of a finesse reel.

To end this evening with a bang….

The Daiwa T3 MX

Plain and simple, the longest casting reel I own!
I was afraid I wouldn’t get used to the hood popping open when engaged, but after a few casts, you simply forget about it!
The thing is impossible to backlash…casted up wind with as much distance as I would down wind.
I really like the raw Ziaon, feels hollow at first, but again you get used to it fairly quickly.

As for lures, the Arbo shined through as expected, see it as slow rolling a buzz bait.
Leaves a good trail of bubbles, and squeaks like crazy!

The Z Man Quadzilla will also be seeing the water often.
Displaces lots of water and puts out lots of vibrations.

In the famous words of Don Cornelius, wishing y'all "Love, Peace and Soul"

Now to get this god damn stupid messed cleaned up before First Qualifier on Saturday :?

Last edited by TheMaverick on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I wish I had your mess! I will gladly take half of it to help you clean up a bit...

Maybe your 110's? :lol:
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

lunkerhunt frog = super fail
one fish one bait! legs falling off and rips like a senko

metanium xg = 8/10, the performance is excellent just i find the reel to sit too forward on the reel seat.

tatula r = 9/10, awesome casting and power, awesome frog reel
Last edited by cndbasshunter on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

cndbasshunter wrote:lunkerhunt frog = super fail
one fish one bait! legs falling off and rips like a senko
Glad I am not the only one who thinks so!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I'll be posting after the first Renegade Bass Qualifier on Saturday. 8)
I'm hoping that Mav has the mess straitened out before Friday's pre-fishing. :?

http://www.renegadebass.com/en/resource_newboro.php
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I used the DX743 over the last two nights and switched to a copolymer line.

Still getting used to a non braid line but and more and more in love with this rod the more I use it.

The met was a "should have just bought another ci4+" but I have grown auite find of it over the past few days. I don't think I would sell it even if I was offered full price for it.

And Frank, where is your review? Last time I checked, you have fished a few qualifiers and the msbassin tournament since your last post on this subject...

Really would like your take on the nrx.
Adam
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I like my Tatula (not the r)... but every now and again it kinda goes into an old school flipping mode... where the thumb bar won't stay down. It sometimes last 4 or 5 casts. I can't quite figure it out. It hasn't done it in a while so maybe it has worked it's kink out. Anyone else had this?
My Bomber WhoDat weedless spoons with the spinner have been a great search lure. They cast a mile and can be jigged down weedholes as well. Thumbs up!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

banjo wrote:I like my Tatula (not the r)... but every now and again it kinda goes into an old school flipping mode... where the thumb bar won't stay down. It sometimes last 4 or 5 casts. I can't quite figure it out. It hasn't done it in a while so maybe it has worked it's kink out. Anyone else had this?
My Bomber WhoDat weedless spoons with the spinner have been a great search lure. They cast a mile and can be jigged down weedholes as well. Thumbs up!
I own both those reels (R and Non-R) and use them extensively. Never had that happen.
You should ask the question in the Tackle Tour Forum where you have a multitude of Daiwa aficionados that can help you out.
Here is a link to that Forum. You will have to register before posting the question.

http://forums.tackletour.com/
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

might be some debris inside the clutch.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cndbasshunter wrote:might be some debris inside the clutch.
That would certainly explain it.