Reel maintenance

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
toned
Participant
Participant

Reel maintenance

Post by toned »

So I figured I'd lube up my Shimano Saros reel and picked up some Ardent Reel butter...I started working on it, lubed it all up and now I'm reading that since it's synthetic, it may cause issues with the mineral oil that shimano uses (apparently they don't bond well together and may gunk up)

anyone have any insight here? am I safe? I'd rather not cause any issues...nothing wrong with the reel, just figured I'd do some basic maintenance
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Reel maintenance

Post by smitty55 »

If you're at all concerned then remove it all and just use one product. You may want to consider swapping out the grease for oil in your spool bearings. The difference would be significant.
I just looked up the Ardent Butter and I'm sure it's a good grease lube, but I'm not impressed with their claim "It penetrates deep into ball bearings and roller bearings for a complete flush of dirt and foreign debris." Where does the dirt go? Why would you use a lube for cleaning? Use a solvent to remove all lubricants and then you can really feel how the bearing spins when dry. If its rough then probably best to replace if its a spool bearing. Not that the old one won't still work, specially if you pack it with grease. Then lube with your choice.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter