Combos for kids (5&8)???

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Combos for kids (5&8)???

Post by curls »

I'm looking to get out for smallies this weekend and I'm pretty sure my kids' Disney Princess and Spiderman rods ain't going to cut it. :)
They can both cast well with those kids spincast reels. I haven't tried teaching them how to cast with a regular spinning reel yet, but figure I probably can teach them within a few minutes.
Are there any economical combos at CT, LeBaron, or Sail that would be recommended? Something probably 5'6" (at most?) and medium action.
Thanks in advance!
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Combos for kids (5&8)???

Post by campnfish »

Just bought a couple combos at Walmart for my nephews to use at the cottage - 8 and 11. They were $20 a piece. Nothing special, but they get the job done. Saw they had pink rods there too....
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I ended up checking tackle tour and they had reviews of the Ugly Stik GX2 as a super durable rod... and it comes in a 5'6" one for kids! Got a spincast for the boy (5).
My daughter ended up starting off her likely addiction to Daiwa with a red and black combo in 5'6" (she didn't want green, she said red would catch her more AND bigger fish), spinning model, but it's a Light action. I can't wait to see her fight a good sized fish on that! :)

Time to retire the Princess and Spiderman combos to friends of ours who have younger kids. :)
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

Congrats on the purchase. My kids, 5 and 3, have 5 ft ugly sticks, and they work like a charm. Good size for small hands, and they can use them for years (hopefully)
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

One thing about those combo's is that they sit on the shelf for a long time sometimes.

Go out in the back yard and make a few casts with a bank sinker or casting weight of the size you expect your kids to use.

Make about a dozen or so - if you get lots of coil problems and wind-knots... re-spool them before letting your kids at them ... nothing is more frustrating for a kid than equipment that doesn't work.

Hope you have tons and tons of fun.
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Post by bcjohnso99 »

I picked up a pair of combos for my young'uns from Sail for $25 per combo (3 years ago).

They are Shakespeare Synergy rods with Titanium Ti6 closed face reals. Still going strong after lots of abuse and they cast real nice too.

My youngest (4 at the time) played tug-o-war with a 3lb largemouth and the combo held up fine.

Brian.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

MichaelGA wrote:One thing about those combo's is that they sit on the shelf for a long time sometimes.

Go out in the back yard and make a few casts with a bank sinker or casting weight of the size you expect your kids to use.

Make about a dozen or so - if you get lots of coil problems and wind-knots... re-spool them before letting your kids at them ... nothing is more frustrating for a kid than equipment that doesn't work.

Hope you have tons and tons of fun.
Yeah.... i did not notice but my sons setup was spooled with cheap 1-2 pound mono. The stuff would just snap... Made for frustrating outings. I respooled with a brand name mono and things got better.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

The Ugly Stik GX2 came with 6# Stren mono pre-spooled. Since they've only been on the market about a year, I'll see how it goes this weekend. My daughters' combo didn't come with line, so I picked up a 330yd spool of Trilene XL 6#. I'm sure I could spool these reels 2x each with that much line LOL! I'll make sure to bring the extra line out this weekend - hopefully smashing big smallmouth! :)
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

curls wrote:
Time to retire the Princess and Spiderman combos to friends of ours who have younger kids. :)
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat .... You can't be serious. :shock:
They can't be serious Bass Fisher-persons (Politically correct) if they don't have more than one combo. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

StarTzar wrote:
curls wrote:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat .... You can't be serious. :shock:
They can't be serious Bass Fisher-persons (Politically correct) if they don't have more than one combo. 8)
You're right. They will still have these for sunfish. My bad. My bad. ?