Grease for bait caster

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Grease for bait caster

Post by avidangler »

I've been looking around online for what grease to use on my drive gear? Shimano of course recommends shimano grease but I'm wondering if anyone else has used something else. The reel is a Callcutta 400B if that makes any difference.

On a side note is there anywhere in or around Ottawa one can take a reel to be repaired or to get some maintenance?
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Grease for bait caster

Post by lape0019 »

I have Abu grease and Have used Shimano grease. The Aby grease is thicker but I prefer the Shimano grease for Shimano baitcasters. It was easy enough to order from Shimano and they as stated by you, recommends it. The ardent stuff gets pretty good reviews as well.

Paddletales ships out reels for maintenance. all of the Shimano reels that he gets goes to the Shimano warehouse in pembroke for maintenance or repair.

Good luck!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Actually they get sent to Shimano Canada in Peterborough.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

I've done a curado E7 and E5 using reel butter a month or two ago...both new oil and grease...I took them apart, cleaned them (reasonably) and relubed them...I am planning a full tear down, soaking and relube this winter...maybe a paint job too...I was surprized just how dirty they were inside

the stuff (reel butter) is 100% synthetic and I didn't realize until AFTER that you shouldn't mix the stuff with the non-synthetic stuff that shimano uses, apparently it can cause the two lubes to break each other down and leaving the parts dry and prone to wear ... I plan on doing a full strip over winter, but I am leaving them as is for the time being (I cleaned them enough, just could of done more)...I'm up to 70 hours on the water since I've done them and 0 issues...smooth as the day I did em

something for you to keep in mind if you do decide to do it...make sure you take off all the old stuff first, or use a conventional oil/grease
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

toobinator wrote:Actually they get sent to Shimano Canada in Peterborough.

Ed
I never seem to get that one right.

Adam
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

toned wrote:I've done a curado E7 and E5 using reel butter a month or two ago...both new oil and grease...I took them apart, cleaned them (reasonably) and relubed them...I am planning a full tear down, soaking and relube this winter...maybe a paint job too...I was surprized just how dirty they were inside

the stuff (reel butter) is 100% synthetic and I didn't realize until AFTER that you shouldn't mix the stuff with the non-synthetic stuff that shimano uses, apparently it can cause the two lubes to break each other down and leaving the parts dry and prone to wear ... I plan on doing a full strip over winter, but I am leaving them as is for the time being (I cleaned them enough, just could of done more)...I'm up to 70 hours on the water since I've done them and 0 issues...smooth as the day I did em

something for you to keep in mind if you do decide to do it...make sure you take off all the old stuff first, or use a conventional oil/grease

This is very good to know, the issue of non-synthetic and synthetic oils/lube causing problems. Thank you for that (seriously.)
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

An old post but I thought I'd chime in.
If you service your reels regularly, the mixing of lubricants, other than maybe consistency, is not an issue. It's like the issue of WD40 and 3in1 oil. They will eventually varnish up but it takes years to happen so it really isn't an issue with regular service.
The lighter the oil/lubricant used, the more often you will have to service the reel. Light tackle means light baits so a light lubricant is required so you can get your casting distance. Larger reels like those used for heavier muskie baits can get away with heavier lubricants to meet the harsher demands on the reel.
There are those who like to super tune their reels and get 5 mins of free spool. Not necessary but fun to achieve.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Crisco :handgestures-thumbupright:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I use Penn grease (from Lebaron as it was closeby). It works fine on the main gears.
For oil, I use the bantam oil that shimano supplies with their reels. One of those little tubes can easily lube up 16-20 reels.

General maintenance is actually simple. Get some Q-tips, shop towels (I prefer these over paper towels as they don't turn into mush), brake cleaner or acetone (to soak bearings), a small pick (think of a dental pick) to get at the bearings, and a few small screwdrivers. Plus a small wrench or use the Shimano tool.
Take your time, place everything in order piece-by-piece as you remove it, and it's simple to break down a reel and maintain it on a cold winter day when there's nothing else to do.

Use OIL on the levelwind, all bearings, and brake ring (I put a few drops on a q-tip and swipe the brake cylinder once, that's all it needs).
Use GREASE on the gears, sparingly.
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

Penn grease + 1
Cal's drag grease for drag, and lightweight oil like Boca or Hedgehog for bearings.
Abu Silicote reel oil or light grease for the level wind (need to add more often if you're using the reel oil for this part)

I've tried a LOT of grease and oil and the above is what I would use for my own reels and the reels that people send to me for cleaning and tuning