Shimano Calcutta401D vs Daiwa td Luna 300L and 6'6 foot rods

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shimano Calcutta401D vs Daiwa td Luna 300L and 6'6 foot rods

Post by rex.stpierre »

I am now the proud owner of both these reels....I blame muskies and the freak catches that come along with fishing huge baits. I just got back from lebaron with the Daiwa. It was 288$ plus tax but I have a club card so 308$ for some fly tying hooks, a daiwa td luna 300l and a musky plano box.

Has anyone had experience with these reels. I just took the Daiwa out of the box. The reviews say the TD Luna is comparable to the Calcutta TE. I have never used a TE. I know it sure looks like a Calcutta B. I would own an Calcutta B but they don't make the in LEFTY!!!! Damn you righties...lol...now were are even.

I can wait to use the clicker of the Daiwa. I think no clicker was my biggest disappointment on my 450$ CalcuttaD. Don't get me wrong, I have never used a reel as smooth as my 401D...

The reviews are great from both these reels and in a week's time!

I'll need to match the reel up with a rod. I had a 6`6 heavy fenwick HMX 1-3 ounce rod...I imagine it was a heavy flipping rod and I LOVED it for 3 ounce musky lures... That rod is gone now and I can't replace it because I don't think they make it anymore... Are you guys familiar with a nice short musky rod... IF you tell me all musky rods should be 9 feet, I'll have a douzen arguments for you. Keep in mind I do a lot of fishing from shore. Besides, I already have a 8 foot 6 daiwa rod matched up with the CalcuttaD and I love it!!

I expect RJ to have a few good comments as I always find his gear comments constructive!

Any comments are appreciated! As a side note, I have now flipped over to tuffline...maybe i'll go back to suffix and powerpro one day but I'm all about tuffline for the moment...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shimano Calcutta401D vs Daiwa td Luna 300L and 6'6 foot

Post by RJ »

Hey Rex,

Other than your shore fishing limitations there is no reason to not use the newly designed long musky rods. I know I will never use any casting rods that are less than 8'6" again. The ease of casting and figure 8's is a monumental difference.

Not sure you'll find much in the 6'6" length. I have a 7'6" Compre that is ok for throwing smaller stuff and 1 oz Jigs.

I have an older rod kicking around here in the barn that may fit the bill. Are you going to the get-together this week?

RJ
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

RJ wrote:Hey Rex,

Other than your shore fishing limitations there is no reason to not use the newly designed long musky rods. I know I will never use any casting rods that are less than 8'6" again. The ease of casting and figure 8's is a monumental difference.

Not sure you'll find much in the 6'6" length. I have a 7'6" Compre that is ok for throwing smaller stuff and 1 oz Jigs.

I have an older rod kicking around here in the barn that may fit the bill. Are you going to the get-together this week?

RJ
Nah, sorry, I'll be at a work function. My 6'6 was easy to haul around, it was more precise then my 8`6, when I used it with a phantom, my rod did not touch water/rocks. When I jerked a lil doc all day long, my wrist/forearm was thankful. When I used a sledge I could also avoid hitting ground and water.
I love the 8'6 cause you can cast it a mile and horse in a whale!!! I even brought it to cuba with me, when I casted down wind I covered many many yards with the popper and I never needed to bend over for figure 8!
I have a buddy who guided 10 years in lake of the woods. His rods and his coworker's rods were are all custom made 6 foot and 6`6 musky rods. They were obsessed with phantoms. I guess they bent over for figure 8s. They also had to provide their clients with a rod for the weekend. He said, with a short rod, tuffline and an original Calcutta, you avoid all types of problems with people that have zero experience...

Boys and our toys, one rod for every application!!!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

How long ago was he guiding on LOW?

I'll dig in the barn today for that rod I'm thinking of, that's if I can get away from the woodstove... :lol:

RJ
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

He guiged before his kids and his oldest is 5... He uses custom made Rods with loomis parts, nothing over 6'6... I wondered what the hell until i tried it... I went to baskatong with him this year for pike and walleye, he is a fan of walk the dog and glide baits that he works by dipping rod tip directly infront of him... There is a method to his madness... Phantom lures are finicky about rod action... I think thats how he wound up with similar styles. His uncle still guides there at tetu lodge.... Beautifull place from what i see on facebook... Unfortunately out of my price range... I also kayak fish alot RJ and working a long rod sitting down or paddling an 8'6 rod through deadfalls is the end of me... What a man will do for muskies!?!