Looking to Borrow Hard Case Rod Tube

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Looking to Borrow Hard Case Rod Tube

Post by Oneeleven »

I've posted this on Facebook, but thought I would try asking here too.

I want to try and bring my rod to Mexico over Christmas and have to put it in checked baggage. Does anyone have a rod tube that I could borrow that would be okay under the plane?

The only thing is it would have to be long enough to fit my 7"2 Shimano and it can't be super heavy as I have to include the weight in my total luggage allowance. The airline allows for complimentary checking of golf clubs, but not a fishing rod... go figure :lol:

I've been suggested to use PVC piping, but this is kind of hard for me to arrange being car-less. :mrgreen:

I promise to replace or pay for it should anything happen to it during my travels.

Merci! Tia
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Looking to Borrow Hard Case Rod Tube

Post by cgates »

My buddy take the long cardboard ones on the plane to Florida and keeps the reels with him
Chris
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I have an extra one I got for free from some one on this board (an old map tube actually). You can have it if you want to come out to barrhaven,.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Stop by SAIL they will give you one of the brown shipping tubes, it's perfect for traveling with your rods.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Tia,

I have one you can use I'll send you pm
- Rick Ozga
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

NEVER use cardboard tubes. the moisture in the planes hull will be absorbed and the tube will fall apart crushing your rods. Because it's also a extra large package it gets a low priority when they load the plane. It's considered cargo and not personal which means if theirs no room on the plane it will get left behind. But it will be put on the next flight out
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

there is no moisture in a planes hull....
... flying at altitude means super dry air. ie. close to but not quite 0% humididty...

Shipping items in card-board or plastic is not usually an issue.
Your baggage is tagged and loaded. Oversized items may be left behind but this is different for each airline.
Simply ask about the policy for oversized items.

PVC / ABS is fine for one rod or maybe two, but it won't prevent any 'travel scuffs' and 'wear' on the rings or handles.
It's also heavy.

Best bet is to buy one of the bazooka tubes from sail / lebaron (extendible, lockable foam padded)
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

You guys are all awesome! :text-thankyoublue: Thanks a lot for coming to my aide.

Turns out that Santa came early for me this year and he's kindly lending me a proper reel, rod and case for the trip. So I'm good to go! :occasion-santa:
8)