Arming for the Musky hunt

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
B-Nads
Participant
Participant

Arming for the Musky hunt

Post by B-Nads »

Added a couple new toys to the arsenal for 'ski hunting this summer - 2 Shimano Tekota 600 LC's spooled with 80lb Power Pro, each on a 7 foot St. Croix Premier MH Fast rods. Those will be sitting the Salty holders. Now I just have to snag a good 8 and a half caster for my Revo Winch and then I can start focusing on the important things...like blowing a small fortune on crank baits. :twisted:
Last edited by B-Nads on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Arming for the Musky hunt

Post by MichaelGA »

I found buying salt water plugs and lures to be much more cost effective.

Pretty them up with a few skirts and some tinsel you can get very affordable heavies to chuck at the back waters.
Which is very important to me as i'm fishing from shore, too damn dicey in the canoe.

I've had good luck with these guys www.overstockbait.com
Atom Plugs
Joe Bucher Depth Raiders
Pakula Dojo Lures (some extra rigging to do)
Bomber Saltwater Walkie Talkies
Spinner baits of generic types
etc.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Here's a suggestion. Muskies Canada is holding its Muskie Odyssey on April 25 in St Catharines. If you can make it that's the place to go for baits. MCI has amazing bait and terminal tackle makers. In 2014 Outdoor Canada magazine had Mike Parkers Handlebarz musky lures tied for 5th place with paul didaskalous PeDeez baits from Ottawa in there 25 top gear to have for 2014. Hose baits, frenzy baits and more internationally known bait makers. Glide, trolling, crank, top water and blade baits, you name it, there are all kinds of exceptional quality home made baits. Also major vendors like Pro Tackle and JBs will be there.
If you're going to buy baits, do your homework and don't cheap out. You will waste your time and money and not catch fish.
Good luck.
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

MichaelGA wrote:I found buying salt water plugs and lures to be much more cost effective.

Pretty them up with a few skirts and some tinsel you can get very affordable heavies to chuck at the back waters.
Which is very important to me as i'm fishing from shore, too damn dicey in the canoe.

I've had good luck with these guys http://www.overstockbait.com
Atom Plugs
Joe Bucher Depth Raiders
Pakula Dojo Lures (some extra rigging to do)
Bomber Saltwater Walkie Talkies
Spinner baits of generic types
etc.
How much is it generally for shipping from overstockbait.com? Arm and a leg or reasonable?
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Shipping is pretty reasonable, they use USPS to Canada. If you are getting a ton they will ship to Oggy Kinect (NAC Logistics) for free if they confirm the order with you on the phone.

My last order was about 150$ worth but was big baits - and lots of them. Cost me 55$ in shipping but the box was quite hefty, about 24"x18" and 3 feet long. You can put all the items in the cart and then pick your options. It will show the shipping charge you can then cancel or complete.

Just to be clear my order contained over 8 Joe Bucher BigFoot Depth Raiders, 6 Ten Inch Rigged Dojo Hybrids, 10 Eight inch rigged Dojo Hybrids and about a half dozen ATOM poppers (3oz+ each) Nothing really small about any of them.
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

Awesome, thanks. I'm thinking about only getting 2 or 3 baits, definitely not $150 worth lol
B-Nads
Participant
Participant

Post by B-Nads »

Thanks, Larry - looks like a road trip may be in order ;-)
HuskieMuskie
Participant
Participant

Post by HuskieMuskie »

Don't forget leaders, casting, trolling and jerkbait. Huskie Muskie leaders are available at Bits & Baits, Paddle Tails and Sports Action.. If you are attending the Carp Show I will be working the Pro Tackle booth and can discuss your leaderrequirements. Pro Tackle also has one of the best selections of muskie lures in Canada, at the best prices.

Bill
Bill Fuller
huskiemuskie.ca
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

ArleneHao wrote:Hi guys! All of your suggestions are valuable, aside from overstockbait, can someone also recommend the best local store?
Check out the new site sponsor, Young Tackle Supply (www.youngtacklesupply.com). Just ordered 4 in-line spinners. I am impressed with the quality of the components and they look to be well assembled. Prices are reasonable too.

And don’t forget PaddleTails. Ed is another site sponsor and you won’t go wrong there either.
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S