Rod Handles

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Rod Handles

Post by zeke13 »

Personally I prefer the "feel" of cork .. to me it transfers vibration better but that could just be me.

As far as full vs split grip, given the choice which is not always possible, I would go with the full grip, for the reason that River Monster provided .. casting. And for that matter, I prefer a thicker grip as opposed to thinner .. for instance ... as most know I am a huge proponent of GLoomis rods .. the "new" IMX that was reintroduces in the last year is a beautiful rod, well balanced and great blanks, but the grips, for me are too thin.

Cleaning the cork has never been an issue for me and I have tried different solutions based on recommendations and web searches .. this year I used rubbing alcohol on a cloth and now the grips look like new!

Andrew
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Post by Butch420 »

Simple green works great for clean up too
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

zeke13 wrote:Personally I prefer the "feel" of cork .. to me it transfers vibration better but that could just be me.

As far as full vs split grip, given the choice which is not always possible, I would go with the full grip, for the reason that River Monster provided .. casting. And for that matter, I prefer a thicker grip as opposed to thinner .. for instance ... as most know I am a huge proponent of GLoomis rods .. the "new" IMX that was reintroduces in the last year is a beautiful rod, well balanced and great blanks, but the grips, for me are too thin.

Cleaning the cork has never been an issue for me and I have tried different solutions based on recommendations and web searches .. this year I used rubbing alcohol on a cloth and now the grips look like new!

Andrew
I use magic eraser to clean the cork handles and then airdry over night and then use U40 cork sealer afterwards.

RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Biggs is onto something here. When is your hand ever on the cork or EVA? I know mine isn't.

I prefer the split grips and am indifferent to cork or EVA really. It's gotta be a cosmetic thing to guys as is surely isn't performance that I can see.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well,

I actually find EVA and split grips more aesthetically pleasing. I just prefer cork.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

The butt end of a split grip handle tapers down and is usually to small to comfortably grip the rod when I cast.
I use two hands when casting, i don't particularly like grabbing the exposed blank, just feels weird, as though I didn't have enough grip.

As far as EVA or cork, and after reading your responses, I don't see one having any benefit over the other.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

RJ wrote:Biggs is onto something here. When is your hand ever on the cork or EVA? I know mine isn't.

I prefer the split grips and am indifferent to cork or EVA really. It's gotta be a cosmetic thing to guys as is surely isn't performance that I can see.

RJ

I'm not sure that Biggs owns a rod with a split grip. (He'll have to chime in on this one).
The back end of my hand is always in contact with the handle.
For me, It's all about comfort rather than cosmetics.
I'm a two handed caster. It just feels awkward (for me) to grab the blank on the butt end of the handle.
It feels that the rod will slip sideways whereas I can get a better firmer grip on the full handle. 8)
I prefer the feel of cork to EVA just because it feels better to the touch (for me).
It's like the warmth of solid wood furniture vs the cold feeling of laminate.

It all boils down to you say potato and I say pottatto. :roll:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
whoodatguy
Participant
Participant

Post by whoodatguy »

Im a corking, split gripping man! However all my corks are full... :shock:
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Chiming in with my 2-cents.

Despite the significant improvement in EVA technology my preference is still cork. In warm dry conditions the shortcomings still associated with the best EVA is less noticeable. However rain, especially cold rain reveals the tactile grip benefits of cork when compared to synthetics. I am particularly fond of the high density slow-growth Korean cork employed in the NRX rods. Colder climates in Korea (compared to Portugal) significantly reduces the annual growth rate of the cork trees resulting in much tighter growth rings. The high density cork is certainly more durable but of greater importance is added sensitivity.

I have never been a fan of split grips and though I try to keep an open mind, I doubt that my fondness for full grips will ever change. Split grips were the result of the significant cost savings associated with a reduction of cork, the "cool" factor was a happy accident. Form follows function in my life and having to "search" for the cork knob when casting with two hands is in betrayal of performance and for that reason I prefer full grips.

Everything is a matter of opinion and ultimately it has to be "right" for you.

-P
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I take what they come with,,,I buy my rods because Gary Loomis and Boyd Duckett know more about building technique specific rods than I ever will, :lol:
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

cndbasshunter wrote:love cork, especially in bad weather or hot days.
Me too! I find the foam can irritate the hands on a long day of fishing when they get hot, wet or sweaty. Love cork but like anything now days, it is a finite resource and demand will put it out of reach or make it too expensive.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

PunchRig,

Just an FYI,

Gary Loomis has not designed a rod for G.Loomis in quite some time. He sold the company to Shimano in 97 and had no say in any of the new products coming out. He started Edge rods recently so you can still get rods designed by him if you want...

The duckett rods look good and are priced really well. But, no matter who's name is on a rod, I always want something that is comfortable to fish.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

http://www.winngripsfishing.com/products/grips/taper/

This is what you will be seeing on more rods.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

CN wrote:http://www.winngripsfishing.com/products/grips/taper/

This is what you will be seeing on more rods.
I've seen these grips on a few rods, in particular a custom NRX (if i'm not mistaken) if i can remember what forum i'd post the pics up. :?

Edit, found them, personally not a fan, but an alternative to cork.

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Lol,

That was my post a few weeks ago. Some guy was having an NRC and a GLX customized how he liked them and I think those wingrips look great. Not good enough to cut up one of those though. Especially a brand new one...

The guys on BBC had a field day with that post.