Shimano vs. Lews

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shimano vs. Lews

Post by StarTzar »

ShawnD wrote::|
Every brand makes great reels, good luck with your choice Justin, go with what you can afford and have fun this season!
That is the best advice. :greetings-clappingyellow:
Justin was looking at the Abu STX which is also a very solid performer.
ShawnD wrote:If I had to recommend reels it would be a Quantum MGTour < Very light, great spool and bearings Also the new Quantum SpeedFreak 8.1:1, I just bouhgt two of these reels and can't wait try them, they feel solid.
But I'm pretty much the only guy that uses Quantum around here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are the Quantums color coordinated with the Phoenix ?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Great post OAO I just feel like you could have left the
": It was lighter (weighs in at 6.5 oz. vs. 6.75 oz. for the Rocket) " Out.. .25 of an ounce?
Or blows every other reel out of the water.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

StarTzar wrote:
Great post OAO I just feel like you could have left the
": It was lighter (weighs in at 6.5 oz. vs. 6.75 oz. for the Rocket) " Out.. .25 of an ounce?
Or blows every other reel out of the water.
X2. I've been biting my tongue replying to that post.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

My Shimano reels take some heavy abuse and have NEVER had a single problem. Shimano all the way!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Tip-up wrote:My Shimano reels take some heavy abuse and have NEVER had a single problem. Shimano all the way!
Nobody is saying Shimano is bad because they do make some really good gear but to make a reel out to be the greatest reel every made in its class and all you've done is hold one in the store is misleading and lame IMO. Those types of posts when someone is looking for info are the worst.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

OutdoorActionOntario wrote:
I was basically looking across the spectrum at all baitcasting reels in the 7:1 ratio
At decision time It came down to the Shimano Chronarch Ci4+ and the Abu Garcia Revo Rocket.
I was under the impression the Rocket is only available in a 9.0:1 ratio :?:
OutdoorActionOntario wrote:Recently, I compared the Shimano Chronarch Ci4+ against every other reel in its class, and it was not even close - the Chronarch Ci4+ blows its competition out of the water. .
OutdoorActionOntario wrote:Shimano Curado, Quantum Smoke and Exo, Lew's BB2 Pro Wide, Team Pro speed spools, and the Abu Garcia Revo Beast, ALT and Revo Rocket.
You left out some very respectable models, Revo MGX, Revo Premier, STX, Lew's Team Lite, Daiwa Zillion TWS :?: it's not really fair that you imply "every other reel".
OutdoorActionOntario wrote: After seeing Brad's comment about how Lew's wanted him to pay for shipping there and back, and knowing how much he did used to love Lew's, I think that speaks volumes as to the difference behind company policy on such issues and why I will continue to devote a good chuck of my personal rod and reel inventory each year to Shimano. With them, it’s tried, tested and true as far as I am concerned.
OutdoorActionOntario wrote:Price wise, not much difference between them and honestly, I have only heard nothing but good reviews for almost all the reels listed above, but really the Ci4+ and Rocket stood out from the bunch.
Good thing you didn't buy the Abu Rocket, it's made by the same company that makes the Lew's, Pflueger, BPS Pro Qualifier and Johnny Morris reels, Doyo in Korea. (it might have blown in your hand ;) )

The Abu Ambassadeur round reels are still made in Sweden.
Shimano produces their high-end reels in Japan and owns a factory in Malaysia for the lower end reels.
Daiwa is similar to Shimano, high-end out of Japan and own multiple factories in South-Korea and Taiwan for lower end.
Zebco owns Quantum.

Where I might allow myself to "chirp" at you, is that your posts are somewhat contradicting and not "fair" to someone looking to buy their first baitcaster, they came out more like a sales pitch rather then informative facts based on actual comparaisons and time spent on the water with the reels.

The Chronarch seems like a wonderful reel, from what I've gathered, anglers who have been fishing them really enjoy them.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

biggs wrote:
Tip-up wrote:My Shimano reels take some heavy abuse and have NEVER had a single problem. Shimano all the way!
Nobody is saying Shimano is bad because they do make some really good gear but to make a reel out to be the greatest reel every made in its class and all you've done is hold one in the store is misleading and lame IMO. Those types of posts when someone is looking for info are the worst.
Thanks Biggs. I'm not sure what else can be said on the vs. subject, but if someone were to ask me what kind of reel to purchase, Im going to suggest to them a Shimano product all the way. When I say heavy abuse, I am talking about my drag and gears getting constant workout while setting hooks and battling fish. My reels are maintained in the same mannor as yours. I have owned two Lew's baitcasters and they are sitting in a box in my fishing room, both with the same 'issue'

Should just post a picture of the reel graveyard in my basement of Diawa, Lews, Pflueger and Quantum reels. All were good but never held up to the test of time. I never said anything about Shimano being the best reel made though they are proving to be IMHO. Like Shawn said, every company makes a good reel.

You tacklehoes have too much time on your hands, sorry this ain't Tackletour thanks for your opinion though :)
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

My point is simply don't just hold a reel in a store that you have never used and then crown it greatest reel in it's "class", doesn't matter what brand it is.

Anyway this will be my last post in this thread, I think it's been hijacked enough.

If we are tacklehoes, does that make you guys reportsluts?
Hmmm? I like it.

Oh yeah, post a picture of the reel graveyard (in another thread of course). Any DAiwa TDZ's?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Hopefully the original poster got some info for him to make his purchase. Thanks to all who replied.

What say we now have a Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument? Sheesh.

RJ
whoodatguy
Participant
Participant

Post by whoodatguy »

RJ wrote:Hopefully the original poster got some info for him to make his purchase. Thanks to all who replied.

What say we now have a Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument? Sheesh.

RJ
I absolutely did! I appreciate all the valuable feedback everyone!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

biggs wrote:
Oh yeah, post a picture of the reel graveyard (in another thread of course). Any DAiwa TDZ's?
I'll gladly take the TDZ's ... If they are right hand retrieve.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and that's what was asked for. He was looking for feedback remember? Shouldn't be a big deal guys. There are some valid points made all around, but you lads really need to get out on the water lol. :wink:
Tip-up wrote:You tacklehoes have too much time on your hands, sorry this ain't Tackletour thanks for your opinion though :)
I actually found that kinda funny. That's how it was meant I figure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Gotta be honest Smitty, I giggled at that line as well.

Tip-Up,

You are correct in this is not tackletour. If it was, OAO would have been lambasted for writing something like that. There are many fine points in his response but comparing two reels in store is not the type of response people on that forum take lightly.

The thing with tackletour is a lot of those guys have 25 plus combos and use a lot of different brands so they are able to compare apples to apples. In my experience, I have used all three brands that Justin is looking at. I may not have used the specific model he is looking at but I have used reels that are made in very similar fashions. The frames on between the second coming of lew's are identical. It is what they do to the rest of the reel that made it more or less expensive. Abu was very close to the same thing. I have used a Revo S. I actually was quite impressed with that reel and would have looked at another one. I just chose to sell off everything that didn't say Shimano. The only reason for that was because The two reels I had (Curado E and Core 100MGFV) had proven themselves time and time again and Shimano came out with new reels that were supposed to be great. So far, I have no complaints on making the full switch to Shimano. The new reels are all great to fish with and are amazingly smooth even compared to the Curado E.

I am looking at buying two more reels this year and considered going Daiwa (Biggs and Mav/Startzar have may have had something to do with that...) but I have decided to stick with Shimano. The reels are still being ironed out. There are just too many good options for what I am looking for. I can guarantee that they will be nice and will probably need a little finessing to meet my applications, but I am looking forward to it. The nice thing about Shimano and Daiwa is that there is an aftermarket and well as in-house accessory spools and handles. Lew's and Abu are coming along with handles and knobs, but performance spools are harder to find for some reason.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

for me, it's old daiwa and new shimano.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

You guys are right, Fish-Hawk isn’t TackleTour, but it’s no excuse to lower the standards and except mediocre replies.
I figure if some of us have more knowledge in regards to ANY pertaining subject, why not share it?

When members actually put the time to reply and gather as much information as possible in order to facilitate someone’s purchase, please don’t come up with redundant comments such as “Need to go out on the water”, “Too much time on your hands”, although they’re meant as friendly banter, they always seem to re-surface when talking gear. :twisted:

Tackle is an interest of mine, and many others, we enjoy it just as much as you enjoy fishing for trout, or salvaging weeds in your back woods.

If there is one site that can flourish from all this information, it’s Fish-Hawk :idea:
For anyone reading these threads, if they can gather info in regards to these back and forth discussions, IMO that’s a positive outcome. ;)

Justin,

If you have not purchased your reel yet, I was looking at online pictures of this amazing reel, it has Skeet’s Reese signature on it, that makes it best in its class.

It has a 4.2 ratio (39” per turn) which is excellent for frogs, the body is a composite plastic, so don’t worry about it flexing under pressure.
Drag is listed at 1kg, not sure what that means, but it’s probably good enough for you 8-)

P.S. I think Thursday will be your first time setting foot in PaddleTales, you know what that means big boiiiiii, initiation time! :o
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!