Cordless Drill Auger combos

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cordless Drill Auger combos

Post by Haulin Bass »

Just wondering what would be the best cordless drill auger set up from anybody that is using them.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Cordless Drill Auger combos

Post by Wallyboss »

This is the only I have ever tried. If I was doing as much ice fishing as I used to do this is the one I would get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjG3DUpBBl4
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

I have been using a cordless drill setup for the last three years and I use the Milwaukee 18 volt with lithium battery. This drill has amazing torque and I get several 8 inch holes out of one battery. I bought a 8 inch hand auger, removed the handle and bought the $10 adaptor from canadian tire. The adaptor goes into the shaft of the auger bit and allows the chuck of the drill to connect to the other end. I love this setup and until this year was always able to drill my holes faster than any gas auger. I had a friendly competition with Grizz who bought a gas auger and for the First time was beat with a gas auger but I still think it was because he had new blades but he would probably argue that. If there is one recommendation to make it would be to buy an extension for the auger because at the end of the season the ice is thick so you will need those extra inches to get through.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I second Canam's suggestion. I have been using a Snap-On drill for a few years now with a 5 inch auger. It's awesome!!!

My only suggestion is to put something at the top of the auger that won't allow it to fall through the ice if the auger falls off the drill.... and it will!!!

I posted some details on power requirements for different sized holes and have pictures of my setup on OOD.

http://www.oodmag.com/community/showthr ... =ice+drill

Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

M18 gets another vote, Kicks with the 4.0 batts was my goto till last year, my buddys 20v yellow things couldnt keep up much lees even do the job.
Il also second Steves comment on the commercial drills, they work way better,have seen his in action and it really shreds.
I see im not the only one whos dove for an auger bit :roll:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

K-Drill for me forever.

Keep an eye out for these next Fall to be available locally.

RJ
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

I can't believe I'm doing this but canam04 is right, his Milwaukee 18 volt with lithium battery is a beast. You can buy a clam plate for this set up, your wrist will thank you. I lucked out this years and picked up a eskimo barracuda 3hp auger for 150. Not even a full tank a gas through it. Since I bought it canam04 leaves his drill at home. like hot knife through butter. Better get those blades sharpened canam04 :lol:
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

That foam float idea is neat, not sure it would work in the current we get on the Ottawa River, might lose your auger down the hole only to watch it "bob up" through another hole further down the ice :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Thanks for the info guys..gives me a good place to start