What are you looking forward to trying this year - part 2

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

What are you looking forward to trying this year - part 2

Post by CNs »

Its time to start up a new thread about new gear:

This year

1) Megabass orochi xx drop shot rod (will have a stradic c14+ on it)
2) Megabass s-cranks
3) gamagasku stand up alien head jigs
4) Eco pro tungsten BUZZBAITS - oh yeah!
5) Sunline super natural monofilament

That's it for now
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What are you looking forward to trying this year - part

Post by lape0019 »

This is always fun and the S cranks are definitely on the short list.

As for the rest of my list, your going to have to wait since I haven't done all of my shopping yet and don't want to jinx myself.

Needless to say, I have a substantial list that I am really looking forward to getting on the water and testing out. A couple more weeks and I will be in the buying position. That's when the fun will begin!!!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I made lots of purchases in the off season. Also sold a bunch of gear to off set the costs which kept the wife happy :D

-I have six new reels (Tatulas and Zillions) I'm dying to try. Made the switch from Lews to Daiwa
-Picked up a couple new dobyns rods 743 extreme
-trying out fluoro and copolymer line this year.
-For lures, I have a few Nutech jigs in the mail, want to try some spybaits, 6th sense crankbaits and a lucky craft Kelly J
-Went out an bought a Bass Pro 100MPH suit
-Joined OVSB, looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people and learning from them
-Last but not least, I'm in the process of changing the layout in my 14ft boat. I've increased the front deck size, adding carpet with and under padding, recessed a pedal for the trolling motor and added a bigger livewell.

Rain or Shine this year should be pretty sweat
- Rick Ozga
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice,

As far as baits, I'm really using the same stuff as last year, in more colors and larger quantities..
*Had one last bag of swimbaits during a tournament last year and seeing as I have the best of luck :roll: of course the bag blew out of my pocket heading to my second spot..

I bought 2 of the new Quantum Speedfreaks 8.1:1 baitcasters.
Haven't bought any new rods, I mostly changed up my reels and now own 80% RH retrieve reels and a few LH retrieve.

I've got my 2015 Phoenix 618pro I'm looking forward to using this year. Can't wait to drive it!!!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

A few things this season.

The new Aldebaran, this thing is so light it's nuts. Picked up a few of the Zodias as well, unreal how light they are yet powerful.

Can't wait to get this sucka wet. Arrives in June sometime!

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hoping to get my hands on a rod pod and some beepers for carp.

A new crucial will be here by end of the month..thanks to a user here...new (to me) flipping stick!

A reel will be sought for it.

I also plan on using a bunch of soon to be acquired trout lures and once the tinner is rigged up with an electric motor (still looking) and the Rent's bush jeep should add plenty of adventures in the Hills of Lanark, Bogie and Gatineau...

For me its more the adventures and new places than new gear.

Due to kid-dom I don't have the budget I did in years past for gear....
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

RJ,

I have been considering the Alderbaran. My only issue is I have never used a 50 size reel and am concerned about the amount of line it will hold. If I were to buy it, it would be going on a Dobyns DX743 (Medium heavy/Fast tip) which is used for weightless presentations. This rod currently has a Metanium XG mounted on it.

I have talked to Ed about it an he will be using his for drop shotting and I have spoken to CNDBasshunter who I believe is going to be using it for almost what I describe above but with a different rod.

Now my question...

What will you be using it for? and what lb test/brand of line will you be using?

The first pics I saw of this reel were downright ugly but after seeing it in person, those pics did not do it justice which of course made me want it more...

And as an FYI, the alternate reel that I am considering over the Aldebaran is just as nice and I think would be more versatile...
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Went a little crazy this year,
Aldebaran
Chronarch Ci4
Stradic Ci4+
6'8" ML Zodias
6'10" M Zodias
6'6" ML Poison Adrena
S-crank
Dowzvido
Duo Realis 100DR

Super excited to try out the Aldebaran/Zodias combo for jerkbaits, the Adrena/Ci4+ should do the trick for spy baits.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Adam,

Here's the setup.

I'll be spooling it with 50 lb Power Pro, using it exclusively for that light Title Shot setup I showed you guys. I just handed it to Chevy here at the house. "that's sick dude". :lol: :lol:

RJ
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

As for me:

Soon to be purchased Shimano Stradic Ci4+. Maybe 2, if the deal is there, right ED?

Just gotta make my way to Paddletales, in the coming weeks.

My plan is to learn the Larry and find the smallies. It'll be the first time on the St Lawrence for me. New adventures with new toys.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

We're going to be on the water before we even know it. Everyday I watch the ice go out more and more, and my excitement is building, big-time!

As for gear:

Every season I add one new technique to my back of tricks and this year it is "Spy-baiting" - something I'm really looking forward to deploying against schools of Smallies across Ontario this summer. I will be using the Duo Realis Spinbait 80's and they look like they will produce...

I also have a lot of new topwater lures (I really love topwater, can't help myself) plus I switched my reel on my topwater rod (St. Croix Avid) from an Abu Garcia Revo SX to the Chronarch Ci4+, so I am pretty excited about trying that new set-up....

As for electronics, can't wait to deploy my Humminbird Helix series.

Last, I'm excited to be focusing on some other species this season, getting away from my bass-centric focus. This means Crappie, Walleye, Muskie, Gar and Trout from across Ontario will all be a major focus this season. We have so many amazing waterways with different species abundantly present that I just can't wait. We truly are blessed with our resources...

I'm liking what everyone else has to say as well. Those Zodias rods are great, the Quantum Speedfreak definitely looks like a reel I would enjoy, and as for the new boats, that is awesome! I think we're all rearin' to get out there as soon as possible...

Tight Lines!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

RJ, I’m loving them Ranger stripes on that Lund! :lol: :lol: ;)

MegaBass XX Diablo Spec-R
Megabass Eeler, I-Slide and S-Cranks
Jackall Pompadour
New to me Daiwa PX68L

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

I will be adding a Talon on my boat, structure scan for my Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 2 Touch. I will also be adding a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2 for the bow. I will be using Navionics + cards in boat sonars (amazing details).

I bought another 3 Dobyns in the Champion and Extreme Champion line-up. Can't wait to also try my new Team Lew's Lite baitcaster.

Bait wise, the Kamooki crank, Spro Rock crawler and Rat should be pretty cool.
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

I picked up a few things last weekend at Ed's.

-Champion 763sf, my new drop shot rod.
-Livingston Dive Master 14, I don't know about these cranks but it was in the sale bin so what the hell.
-Realis Spinbait 90.
-Jackall Scissor Comb 6''.

I also picked up this tinner late last fall to get even deeper into the back woods. I've got a 6hp and getting an electric as well.

TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

jona38 wrote: -Jackall Scissor Comb 6''.
Very intrigued with these, might need to pick up a few packs.
From what I’ve seen, those legs/combs just never stop moving.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!