What are you looking forward to trying this year - part 2

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What are you looking forward to trying this year - part

Post by TheMaverick »

Loving that FX68 Brad!
This should "technically" be my last edition as far as reels for this year.

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have finally got at least half of what it is I am totally looking forward to trying out.

The rods have yet to be purchased but will be coming soon enough. I have rods similar here so here is a preview.

Shimano Metanium DC HG paired with an NRX JWR. Thanks to a member here ( you know who you are and THANKS AGAIN!!!)who loaned me a few NRX rods to try, I was able to actually decide on the perfect rod for my needs. I played around with this combo in the yard tonight and can honestly say I cannot wait to get this out on the water. I was worried about the DC whine but it truly is addictive.

And the CQ100 will be paired with a Dobyns Champion 764CBRM for crankbait duty. I was going to buy a longer handle for it because the CQ100 only has a 74MM handle but honestly after playing around with it and paired with the 4.9:1 gear ratio, I don't think it will be an issue. I toyed with buying the CQ200 but wanted something that would be easy to palm. It may be hard to tell from the pics but this reel is tiny and is not all that much bigger than a low pro reel. In fact, it may be easier to palm because it isn't very long compared to the CI4+ and Metanium I have ( both of these reels palm great as well)

Both reels came with nylon bags that are lined with felt which is nice. The downside is the reels have to be removed from the rods to use them. I am not sure at this point if I will use them or if I will buy some more reel protectors. Only time will tell.

hope you enjoy the pics,

Adam
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

That's some nice reels Adam, go buy some reel protectors before you scratch them..... :evil:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'm looking forward to trying some new water this year.....RJ and I are heading north this July and it's all I've been thinking about the past month. lol
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Adam those are some sweet reels!!!!
- Rick Ozga
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

Looking forward for a top-water day so I can catch them on my new yo-zuri mirror floating Jerkbait. I tried it on pike opening, but all they wanted to eat was my confidence bait for pike (rapala Husky Jerk 14, Glass Minnow).

Also, this is going to sound weird, but I bought 2 jitterbugs last year (one black with the yellow eyes, one jointed frog) and and 2 Zara Spooks (one white with the red head, one perch) and I never caught anything on them. Alot of people swear by these things, they've been around forever, and it must be a really exciting thing to get a fish on, so I'd like to see that happen for sure!

Also looking forward to trying for catfish and carp so no fancy tackle there...
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Shivaya wrote: Also, this is going to sound weird, but I bought 2 jitterbugs last year (one black with the yellow eyes, one jointed frog) and and 2 Zara Spooks (one white with the red head, one perch) and I never caught anything on them. Alot of people swear by these things, they've been around forever, and it must be a really exciting thing to get a fish on, so I'd like to see that happen for sure!

Those are great lures!!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

This year

Tried (and loved)
12ft Daiwa Maddragon carp rod

To try

Shimano Crucial 7'2 jigging/flipping stick rod paired with Shimano reel (can't recall model)
G. Loomis Top Water Frog Fishing Rod TWFR854C paired with Quantum burner 7:1:1

To get:

Crank rod
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Dobyn's 743

Either Loomis E6X Crank (heavy) or Dobyn's Fury 705 Crank....