Good power/action for a Frog Rod?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Heisenbass
Participant
Participant

Good power/action for a Frog Rod?

Post by Heisenbass »

I’m looking for a frog rod and I noticed that most companies with technique specific rods are selling 7’ sticks with heavy power and fast action. I’m sure that companies like St. Croix and Dobyns know what they’re talking about, but still I feel like you could get away with a medium-fast action. Wouldn't you want a rod with a bit more “give” on the strike, or do you actually need the stiffer tip to pull the fish out of cover? Any info on this is welcomed, but it would also be nice to get some input from people that own a frog rod with a fast action (do you guys like your rod?).

Following this, what are some good frogging rods in the 100 – 200$ range that you guys own and are happy with?

Cheers,
Martin
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Good power/action for a Frog Rod?

Post by curls »

I like a longer rod for frogs - 7'3-7'4" is ideal IMO. My frog setup is a Dobyns Savvy Series "SS 735" which is a 7'3" mag-heavy x-fast (or maybe just fast, I can't recall). It's super strong, has a nice tip for walking frogs and flinging toads a mile, and the backbone is stout to really drive the heavy gauge hooks home. The price is perfect at about $130ish. You do not need sensitivity for frog fishing, so don't spent a mint on a frog rod when something under $150 should work just fine.

I caught a 6.33lb largie on it. It works. :)
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

To actually answer your question, I think the fast or x-fast action is to get to full lock-up of the backbone quicker, in order to implant those hooks hard and quick. A moderate-fast is more of a crankbait action - too parabolic and slow as compared to fast or x-fast.
You also want control of the fish 100% in pads/slop, and a stiff, powerful rod will give you that. Just watch for those boat-side runs as you've got much less flex in the upper half or the rod to help cushion it!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Hi,
to answer your question here's what I use;
I've got one the the older model Smoke rods from Quantum. ( actually I own several of them )

I have a 7.4" heavy and I have a 7.6" heavy.
I throw a frog with either one because they can pull it out of the heaviest cover.

My 7.6" always has a frog tied on.

I also own a couple of the Exo rods, the 7.4" Exo is a little tip heavy and prefer it for jigs.

The link I posted below is the newer models. 140$ US Decently priced.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quantum_ ... e-FQS.html

These rods have a decent amount of tip, I like the micro / semi micro guides they have, the grips are nice and they don't break the bank.

Good luck with your search.
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

I guess it goes to show that there are a million ways to fish.

I generally use lighter braid on spinning gear. Say 30-50lb Power Pro Super Slick (likely start winding on the new Maxcuatro as I need distance without a boat)

I use an old med-hvy fiberglass rod, with a really slow tip. Frogs tend to be light so you need (imho) a softer tip to get them to cast way out there.
The rod has backbone to winch em out of the grass but the rod does look almost like a hula-hoop when doing so.

I always prefer to pause before setting the hooks when fishing soft frogs at least a one count. Because of the rods softness my hooksets can look pretty crazy over the top!

I find the heavy super-noodle with braid combo works quite well. I don't bother with a leader unless there are lots of pike then some thin titanium wire (just a short bit) so much junk in the weeds and grass that a fish isn't going to notice any braid ...
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Duckett micro magic , it's an xh 7'6"
Or 8", duckett doesn't rate their tips on their site, but it's a fast tip, it'll flip a small bass 2-3 pounds, 40 feet in the air from the slop righ over your boat ! :lol: ,
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

curls wrote:I like a longer rod for frogs - 7'3-7'4" is ideal IMO. My frog setup is a Dobyns Savvy Series "SS 735" which is a 7'3" mag-heavy x-fast (or maybe just fast, I can't recall). It's super strong, has a nice tip for walking frogs and flinging toads a mile, and the backbone is stout to really drive the heavy gauge hooks home. The price is perfect at about $130ish. You do not need sensitivity for frog fishing, so don't spent a mint on a frog rod when something under $150 should work just fine.

I caught a 6.33lb largie on it. It works. :)
Excellent Frog Rod for your price point.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

curls wrote:To actually answer your question, I think the fast or x-fast action is to get to full lock-up of the backbone quicker, in order to implant those hooks hard and quick. A moderate-fast is more of a crankbait action - too parabolic and slow as compared to fast or x-fast.
You also want control of the fish 100% in pads/slop, and a stiff, powerful rod will give you that. Just watch for those boat-side runs as you've got much less flex in the upper half or the rod to help cushion it!

Very good information from Curls.

I know this is not within your budget but it illustrates what Curls is saying.
I use a Dobyns DX746C 7’4? - 15-30lb, 3/8-2oz, Heavy Flip, Fast Action
The tip has enough flex to cast a frog a mile and lots of backbone for hook-set and control.
It also is a great flipping stick.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

You need a soft tip to load up and fire the frog out, but not so soft that it slows down the power in your hookset too much. Most people prefer a longer rod, but having said that you will find people that have great success with a 6'6". There are a number of choices out there. The aforementioned Dobyns Savvy, although the price quoted was a little low. The longer blanks sell for $180.00 u.s. which puts them in the $200.00+ range when you figure in exchange and duty. The new Loomis E6X rods are just over the $200.00 mark and are a great stick as are the Shimano Crucials. I will soon have in Abu Veritas at under $100.00 and are technique specific for throwing frogs. There are also Fenwick Elite Tech rods in the $140.00 range.

I guess what I am saying is go to a store with a large selection of rods and someone you can trust (I know of such a place), get some advice and choose your weapon.

Ed
Paddletales
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

toobinator wrote:You need a soft tip to load up and fire the frog out, but not so soft that it slows down the power in your hookset too much. Most people prefer a longer rod, but having said that you will find people that have great success with a 6'6". There are a number of choices out there. The aforementioned Dobyns Savvy, although the price quoted was a little low. The longer blanks sell for $180.00 u.s. which puts them in the $200.00+ range when you figure in exchange and duty. The new Loomis E6X rods are just over the $200.00 mark and are a great stick as are the Shimano Crucials. I will soon have in Abu Veritas at under $100.00 and are technique specific for throwing frogs. There are also Fenwick Elite Tech rods in the $140.00 range.

I guess what I am saying is go to a store with a large selection of rods and someone you can trust (I know of such a place), get some advice and choose your weapon.

Ed
Paddletales
I'll cut to the chase for Ed. 8)
Do yourself a favor and make the trip to Paddletales.
You will get lots of great information.
More importantly, you will find what you are looking for and be within your budget (or very close).
This Thursday night would be a good time to go. :wink:
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I use a St Croix 8' salmon rod. (Avid series backbouncing blank) that is not in their catalogue anymore.

Its not a telephone pole - can launch a frog a mile and winch it out of the deepest crap.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I use a Dobyns Champion 735 I bought off Startzar last year. I had used a Savvy 735 the year prior and it worked well but I have had better hookup ratio with the Champion.

You may get away with a Medium fast action is very light vegetation but for the most part, it won't work. I have lost fish with the 735 because the cover was too heavy for it and a 736 would have been better but for most part, the medium Heavy extra fast works well for me.
Heisenbass
Participant
Participant

Post by Heisenbass »

Thanks guys. All great stuff, I appreciate the input!! :D
Martin
BAA 2016 - Team 22