FROGS!

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: FROGS!

Post by ShawnD »

Everyone who's posted is pretty much bang on, I'll just add that you should have different sizes and keep in mind the impact you are creating when you toss your frog out.

Small frogs are great for calm pockets around cat-tails, you won't spook the fish while the Big Frogs ( Like the Spro King daddy ) is good for current/choppy water and heavy mats.

You need to get noticed, without spooking the fish right off the bat and there no wrong way to fish them.. Walking them, burning them, letting them sit there for 5 minutes or the usual pop/sit/pop/pop/sit..

Last piece of advice,
keep a follow up bait near by, senko, flipping baits, really doesn't matter but you should quickly swap back and forth if a fish misses your frog. ;)

Spro/Live target frog, Also you can never have too many.... Pikes destroy frogs and it sucks to run out of baits and the day isn't over..

Hope that helps

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

fishin mission wrote:

the ones from Queebec work good but they make a big splash!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
they also curse to much... K*lice.....
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

zippyfx wrote:
fishin mission wrote:

the ones from Queebec work good but they make a big splash!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
they also curse to much... K*lice.....

It's actually spelled with a C :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

Maybe it's the Gaffney influence but I only user two frogs, Jackal Iobee and Spro for the exact reasons that Spence stated. IMO the Iobee has the best hooks and most consistent hookup ratio of any I have tried and I use these when the cover isn't think. I remember fishing with the kid and throwing the lure into a small spread of grass, only to get a slight overspool, when the lure gets crunched by a four pounder while I'm fixing my line problem. The kid says "on man, too bad you **** that up cuz that was a good fish" .. i continued to fix the overspool and when I reeled in there it was .. a chunky 4-10 .. to which I replied "you were sayin' " :)

I do find that the hooks aren't as tight to the rubber and for that reason, for thicker cover I use the Spro Bronzeye because in general I find that they snag and gather debris less than the Iobee.

This year I have also started to use more soft plastic frogs, just to try them out, as they not only have a similar action as the standard topwater frog but those paddle-style legs cause a bit of a commotion ...
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

zeke13 wrote: Maybe it's the Gaffney influence but I only user two frogs, I remember fishing with the kid and throwing the lure into a small spread of grass, only to get a slight overspool, when the lure gets crunched by a four pounder while I'm fixing my line problem. The kid says "on man, too bad you **** that up cuz that was a good fish" .. i continued to fix the overspool and when I reeled in there it was .. a chunky 4-10 .. to which I replied "you were sayin' " :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brilliant!
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

Lunkerhunt Lunkerfrog is my go-to. Those legs are deadly when fished a bit slower, especiallywith lots of pockets. The combat frog is a beast and can be launched a mile!
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Zeke13 knows what he's talking about :)
I love the Live Target Frog myself but then there is the colour issue. I always have a Frog with a white belly and a Frog with a dark belly. The colour on the top top of the Frog as far as I'm concerned is of little concern. Unless Bass have the ability to see the top of a Frog from underneath!
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

The scum frog was always my favourite. I'd fill it full of small split shot till it would almost sink. Worked very well!
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Caught a 5 pound largemouth on a white (with black spotted back) Boo Ya Pad Crasher last week on the Rideau Lakes system.

He freakin' crushed it through a weed/algae mat in about 2.5 feet of water! He tried his best to get away, but he wasn't going anywhere. I had him completely pinned....

I usually throw livetarget frogs but after last week's successful outings, I will give these Boo Ya frogs a few more chances.

Oh yeah, they are the also among the lowest cost (notice I didn't say cheap) frogs on the market. I paid less than 6 bucks for one of them. I got two for less than the cost of a single live target.

Tight lines!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

PMac wrote:Zeke13 knows what he's talking about :)
I love the Live Target Frog myself but then there is the colour issue. I always have a Frog with a white belly and a Frog with a dark belly. The colour on the top top of the Frog as far as I'm concerned is of little concern. Unless Bass have the ability to see the top of a Frog from underneath!
Those are the bass you have to watch for LOL.
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON