Looking for a good flipping rod - Suggestions?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Looking for a good flipping rod - Suggestions?

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

So, the rod I was using for my flipping stick is really bush league. It's a heavy 7'6" Abu vendetta. I spent a lot on my equipment but cheaped out on my flipping stick.

Big mistake.

It severely lacks sensitivity and frankly it really bummed me out that my flipping game is going to be total bunk if I keep this set-up as I have it...

With a budget ceiling of 180 dollars, can I have a few suggestions on good sticks to check out? OR, if you have a good used stick you want to part with, I would probably be interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thanks!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Looking for a good flipping rod - Suggestions?

Post by PunchRig »

Well is this stick for the heaviest cover ? Or just flipping weedlines and laydowns ? Are you just flippin 3/8 -1/2 oz jigs ? Or 1-2oz. Punch weights ?, pretty hard to beat an irod gen 2 in your price range, i've had good luck with my 8' carrots in xxh, and my duckett white ice in 7'8" , i also have 2 bub's irod sticks in 7'11" , all with micro guides, for heavy work, i have a few Diawa rods that work well for lighter flippin' and frogs. One rod that i have had for several years that i rarely use(mostly 'cause i have more rods than reels) is a Berkley tactix, 7'6", telescopic that works real well for light/med flippin' (docks/under tree limbs and in stump fields),i'd sell you that,for well under your budget.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I have a 7'2" Crucial and a 7'2" Rapala R-Type (Both in 10/10 condition) I'd sell.

Both are very sensitive and I am asking well below your budget.

PM me if interested.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Personal taste on my part but I wouldn't use a Flippin stick under 7'6".

If you could bump your budget a hair the new Crucials are awesome. I can lend you one to try for a week if you'd like to give it a go.

RJ
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Post by LouisD33 »

I have several sticks from all price ranges St Croix ,Quantum, G Loomis, Shimano.
My favorite for flipping, pitching and frogging are the Mojo Bass rods from St Croix. Inexpensive and sensitive and all around a great rod for the priceI I have several of these including a spinning rod for drop shotting. Love everyone. My oppinion would buy the best you can but unless you fish a lot of tournaments you can save a buck and have just as much fun with a less expensive rod.

Louis.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I use a Dobyns Champion 805 for my flippin' stick.

I also use a Tackle Warehouse exclusive Jared Lintner designed Powell 805 Punch Rod.

Go to Paddletales and talk to Ed....

Steve
Dobyns Army member
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

If you want to stay in the Abu family try the 7"6 veracity....it's the one I use currently and I LOVE it. Should be just below your price range..