What was your first baitcasting rod & reel?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: What was your first baitcasting rod & reel?

Post by Christian Gervais »

My first bait caster was a Quantum Accurst 501 bought off ebay. The rod was a Shimano Compre if recall.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

We had all our tackle stolen from our cottage on the Ottawa about 30 years ago. Our insurance claim allowed us to go to Fishin' Buddies on Carling and pick up a new combo each. Only the old guys will have a clue about that place... :shock: :lol:

We bought Shimano Beast Master 2 speeds with Beastmaster rods.. We never did tell my Mom what they cost.. :lol:

I recently sent it in to Shimano for a cleaning so I can put it on the mantel, got a call. Nothing wrong with it, just needed a cleaning. She's 30 years old.. :wink:

RJ
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

DropShot’r wrote:Bass Pro Shops Graphite 96 Gold 6ft 3in M/H action pistol grip rod
Ambassadeur 4600C (red thumb bar) reel

After no less than 33yrs of constant use the 4600C is currently on my 734C spinnerebait rod and is still a great reel.

The BPS rod has had a Zebco 33 on it for quite some time and is used as a kids combo when required.
The 4600C is (IMO) one of the best most dependable reels ever built.
I had both the 5600 and 4600UC and regret having sold those reels.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

My first baitcaster was bought at Fishin Buddies too, but when they were out in Bells Corners. I used it a few times but I just couldn't get used to it, until i tried a lefty, then I got the baitcaster fever. Pretty sure it was an Abu Garcia Ambassador II. I gave it to a buddy a few years back and he is still using it.

When I went out at the ball field to try it out. Put a 2 oz weight on it and casted as hard as I could!!!!!! Took me 45 minutes to cut out all the line out of it!!!! Wish we had Google back in the mid-80's!!!
Last edited by Wallyboss on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

So now I'm an old guy RJ :evil:

My first baitcast combo was a Daiwa. Can't remember the model but it was gold in colour and had a flipping switch on the right hand side. Took me all summer to learn how to throw that damn thing. Nobody showed me how to set it up, which is why we do a quick casting session at the store with new baitcaster owners. I think I paired it up with a low end Abu rod, a 2 pce if I remember right. My My we've come a long way.

I hooked that combo on a backcast and threw the whole shooting match into the Rideau river. Those damn things sink like a rock.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

First combo I got was an early 1990's era Daiwa PS2-5B reel and matching Samurai rod. I still use the reel for ice fishing.