Rough fishing ottawa

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Rough fishing ottawa

Post by frogin1998 »

I've been shore fishing in ottawa for the past week. Apparently the weeds are getting more and more and fishing is starting to get tough. Petrie island, rideau river and along the ottawa river didnt work out very well. Only got a few bites, seems like the fish are either in the deeper area or not as active. Is there any locations or tips for fall fishing in ottawa?
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Rough fishing ottawa

Post by Daboss »

Right now the Ottawa river temperature, (72F main stream to 77F side bays), is near the upper activity limit for most of the popular species.
Lately the air temps have been near my upper activity limit also. :angry-fire:
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

I see, i've been getting more bites using jigs. Barely any action with topwater or crankbait. :roll:
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Once the temps go down the fishing should get better. 3 or 4 weeks i'm hoping the fishing will pick up nicely it usually does when the leaves turn color.
drksthr
Participant
Participant

Post by drksthr »

Right now weedless jiggin is the way to go. Pretty soon they'll be smashing the cranks again. Also try top water frogs and mice. Having great luck with that.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Weedless jiggin, like flippin jigs? Tryed that couple days ago didnt get any action somehow. But for frogs i got some bites but never hooked them on. It is so damn hard to set the hook on a frog :(
drksthr
Participant
Participant

Post by drksthr »

Count to 2 and set the hook like its going out of style. You want to make sure they take the frog down first. The pressure of the weed cover will help the hook set. I count to 2-3 before I set the hook. Have a good success rate doing that. Caught a 6.5lbs bass and 23lbs musky at Petrie last weekend from shore with hollow body frogs. What brand do you use?? That'll make a difference with the hooksets. Live target is the best
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Thanks man, that helps a lot, ill try it out this week sometime.Hope i can hook up some good fish
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

You were fishing in the worst cold front in recent months, they prolly went deep and got lockjaw