Senkos, Senkos, Senkos.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Senkos, Senkos, Senkos.

Post by cprince »

I have been looking at a great many Senko brands and senko accessories and I came across this product:
http://www.wackojig.com

Wondering if anyone has used these or has any thoughts about how it might or might not be effective.

-- ------------

Zipper Worm/Case Plastics O-WACKY TOOL

Here is a question for anyone with the o rings, two senkos and a stop watch;
Is there any difference at all to the rate of sink when the senko has an o ring on it?

In my little squirrel brain, I have to think that there has to be a difference unless it is buoyancy neutral somehow?

With that in mind, I could see the o-ring being used as a bit of a weight maybe putting on two or three if there is a perceived need?

Just a thought!

Craig
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Senkos, Senkos, Senkos.

Post by lape0019 »

Craig,

I've never seen those hooks but they look like they would work really well. Very well thought out design IMO. I personally don't use o rings. The worms I use for wacky rigs seem to hold up quite well without one.

River Monster uses pieces of shrink tubing. It lasts longer and is harder for the hook to pull out of.

As for if the o ring has any affect on the bait and sink rate, I'm sure it does but have never tried to prove it.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

One thing I don't like about using the O-rings is how the hook sits parallel to the bait. IMO if you are going to go the O-ring route put on the senko and cross them into a X.

Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

BradGuenette wrote:One thing I don't like about using the O-rings is how the hook sits parallel to the bait. IMO if you are going to go the O-ring route put on the senko and cross them into a X.

In that example, the hook appears to have pierced the body of the senko. Is that how everyone does it? I thought the objective was to not pierce it?

Craig
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Just drop an o ring in some water and you'll have your answer. If it floats your senko will be lighter. If it sinks it'll be heavier but I doubt by much. Those jigs look interesting for sure
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

cprince wrote:
BradGuenette wrote:One thing I don't like about using the O-rings is how the hook sits parallel to the bait. IMO if you are going to go the O-ring route put on the senko and cross them into a X.

In that example, the hook appears to have pierced the body of the senko. Is that how everyone does it? I thought the objective was to not pierce it?

Craig

Pierced or not the idea is to have the o-ring there so the bait isn't ripped off by a fish, or on a cast. In my experiences it doesn't matter if the hook goes through the senko or not as the o-ring is what's keeping it in place.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I personally like using a weighted hook when wacky rigging. At the same time I usually use an o-ring so the weight of an o-ring (Really is this an issue?) doesn't really matter. What does matter is that using an o-ring I go through less senko and senko style baits.

It doesn't matter if the hook is parallel - the fish don't seem to mind. I tried using 2 O-rings (like brad posted ) but it was too much effort for very little payback.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Does anyone know if there is a senko kit that includes a similar noose like devise for the angler's neck?
By the time I resort to fishing a senko I often feel like life just isn't worth living.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I use circle hooks, piercing the bait, without an o ring. I've been fishing senkos a lot the past few years and I find that the bran makes a big difference in how long the senko lasts. I don't really lose senkos to fish although I do lose the odd one that is a bit beat up on a cast.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

thinking about it further, I find the slower the fall rate the better which also varies by brand. I wouldn't use a weighted jig with a senko hooked that way because it would increase the fall rate.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I agree with mick ,i like a circle hook,how long the bait lasts is relevant to how much salt is poured into them,yamamoto have tons of salt ,great action,but don't last long, i have mine poured by a buddy with no salt,but scented with floatant added,for split or tex rigs,and minimal salt for wacky. I rarely add weight to a senko in wacky form,usually use it on a splitshot rig if sink rate is an issue,the nice thing about a senko,theres a ton of rigging methods,and none of them are wrong
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

cprince wrote:I have been looking at a great many Senko brands and senko accessories and I came across this product:
http://www.wackojig.com

Wondering if anyone has used these or has any thoughts about how it might or might not be effective.

--------------

Zipper Worm/Case Plastics O-WACKY TOOL

Here is a question for anyone with the o rings, two senkos and a stop watch;
Is there any difference at all to the rate of sink when the senko has an o ring on it?

In my little squirrel brain, I have to think that there has to be a difference unless it is buoyancy neutral somehow?

With that in mind, I could see the o-ring being used as a bit of a weight maybe putting on two or three if there is a perceived need?

Just a thought!

Craig
try it ,maybe a new shakey style ,more than wacky, looks like it sinks fast, prolly similar to a dropshot look,but right on the bottom.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'd never use a monstrosity like that on a Senko...wow that's ugly lookin.. :lol:

I always use a ring this year will be 2 per with the price of the buggers with the exchange rate!

I can go through 3 packs a day with inexperienced anglers on board... :shock: :lol:

RJ
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:I personally like using a weighted hook when wacky rigging. At the same time I usually use an o-ring so the weight of an o-ring (Really is this an issue?) doesn't really matter. What does matter is that using an o-ring I go through less senko and senko style baits.

It doesn't matter if the hook is parallel - the fish don't seem to mind. I tried using 2 O-rings (like brad posted ) but it was too much effort for very little payback.
X2
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

RJ wrote: with the price of the buggers ....

I can go through 3 packs a day with inexperienced anglers on board... :shock: :lol:

RJ

I know the feeling, Craig can and will go through a pack or two of MY senkos every time we get out fishing :roll: :angry-screaming:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017