St.Croix Ice Fishing Rods?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
SmokeyFume
Participant
Participant

St.Croix Ice Fishing Rods?

Post by SmokeyFume »

Hey Guys,

Dipped my toes in the cold waters of Ice fishing for the first time this year and It was great and fun. Looking to expand my gear.

Rods, I was looking at St.Croix, Specifically, The legend series rods. I was hoping for someone to clarify the difference between tapered carbon blanks and non tapered ones, so pretty much the difference in the quality between Gold vs Silver series.

Line, doing some research for Ice Fishing trout, I've come across the best line being fluorocarbon clear line for these guys. Brands like TrikFish Line and Seaguar. Thoughts and suggestions?

The last thing is, is it worth to invest into a Automatic Fisherman, looks neat, and an alternative to a tip-up. Cost aside, what do you guys think?

Also would love to know your setups?

Cheers,
Smokey.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: St.Croix Ice Fishing Rods?

Post by Haulin Bass »

I personally would never use the automatic fisherman or the jaw jacker for lake trout as your bail would have to be closed(and drag set properly) to get the desired hook set effect and everything well anchored. Might be good for smaller ones but with a bigger fish I would be afraid that something is going to break or be lost before I could get to the rod. They are extremely powerful and go for good runs. IMO. I use ice braid line with a flouro leader have not lost one yet due to line issues....human error a different story lol Good luck with your ice adventures 8)
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

(Taper rods ) I imagine refers to a multi taper rod . Standard rods start at one girth at the butt and over the hole rod gets smaller towards the tip . Multi taper rods have a taper that changes threw out the rod . It allows you to have more of a backbone near the butt and at a certain point the rate of taper increases (probably half way up the blank).. That let's you have a much more sensitive tip top section ... High end bass rods use this technology to have power to pull fish out of cover but sensitive enough to detect the bite . Do you need it in an ice fishing rod guess that depends how deep your wallet is and how light of a bite your detecting

Line I use the power pro ice line seems to have little to no memory .. Still ices up like just about everything .. But if there is a good flouro I'm interested ....

Hope to see you out on the ice
SmokeyFume
Participant
Participant

Post by SmokeyFume »

@ HaulingBass, Ah, Using a Fluorocarbon leaders is something I didn't think about that.

@DnbMike, St.Croix Gold and Silver series Ice Rods are almost double the difference in price and the main difference is one is tapered and one is not. Thanks for the explanation. Also the reason why I asked about fluorocarbon is because it's almost invisible to the fish (Brooks and Rainbows) (From what I read). Mono stretches to much and braid is visible. Fluorocarbon is just right. I don't know how accurate this is. I guess using a fluorocarbon leader can solve this issue.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

Sorry should have mentioned I'm running flouro leader line as well with a small bead swivel ... Run leaders with mono and braid just find the braid easier to fish ... When you do get it tangled good luck .... I would grab a cheap light action and a medium action (20$each ) sort of thing ... Medium for pike and light for trout .. Hook in to a good laker and you will see that light action rod earn it's money .... I say go cheaper because my ice rods take such a beating.. I would hate to see that stcroix snap in half cause your sleigh flipped or something ... I'm sure if you go with any st croix rod you will be happy ...