Best $150-250 rods

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Best $150-250 rods

Post by kliven »

After browsing around, looking for a decent casting rod, it seems like $150-250 is the sweet spot for sensitivity. I've looked at several rods (Tatula, E6X, St Croix Avid, etc), but it's really difficult to discern which rods are worth the money. What would be, in your opinion, the best rod in this price point? Why? Feel free to mention ones that I haven't listed!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Best $150-250 rods

Post by lape0019 »

This is tough to answer. 1st, sensitivity is subjective. There is no way to actually measure how sensitive a rod is and that factor will change from person to person. What I deem is a great rod, others may feel is dead. 2, I wouldn't say that range is the sweet spot for sensitivity. I would say that is where you will start to notice what a difference higher quality rods will make. To me, that is the entry price of quality rods (probably closer to $100 on the lower end of the spectrum)

3, I doubt you will find many who have used all of those rods. From the reading I do, the E6x seems to be the winner out of the rods you mentioned but again, it's subjective.

I personally use Dobyns. The DX rods are more than sensitive enough for my needs but are also north of $400 now (thank you tanking dollar!!!). The Champion series is plenty sensitive as well and I have more of these than the DX Strictly because of the types of techniques I use. I bring the Champion rods up because Ed actually has outstanding prices on his current stock. They typically wouldn't make it into a request like this but fall near the middle of your price range.

I'll leave it at that but if you want to talk more about the champions, let me know and I'll gladly provide any knowledge I may have.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

My first choice would be the E6X, but I have fished with them. The Daiwa TAT's seem like a good rod, but I haven't had them in the store long enough to get any feedback. Don't forget the Shimano Crucials either. Just over the $200.00 mark, but they have a $40.00 rebate on right now. The reports back on them have been great. The Zodias rods are worth a look as well.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

It is quite frankly impossible to get a better rod for the money than the Dobyns Champions that are on sale at Ed’s.

I own 8 Dobyns rods. 1 Savvy, 1 DX and 6 Champions.

I too will gladly answer any questions you may have.

Good luck with your choice,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
adempsey
Participant
Participant

Post by adempsey »

I am partial to G Loomis and St. Croix. I always found the Shimano power ratings higher than stated, but my experience is limited to the sub $150 class rods.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

lape0019 wrote:This is tough to answer. 1st, sensitivity is subjective. There is no way to actually measure how sensitive a rod is and that factor will change from person to person. What I deem is a great rod, others may feel is dead. 2, I wouldn't say that range is the sweet spot for sensitivity. I would say that is where you will start to notice what a difference higher quality rods will make. To me, that is the entry price of quality rods (probably closer to $100 on the lower end of the spectrum)

3, I doubt you will find many who have used all of those rods. From the reading I do, the E6x seems to be the winner out of the rods you mentioned but again, it's subjective.

I personally use Dobyns. The DX rods are more than sensitive enough for my needs but are also north of $400 now (thank you tanking dollar!!!). The Champion series is plenty sensitive as well and I have more of these than the DX Strictly because of the types of techniques I use. I bring the Champion rods up because Ed actually has outstanding prices on his current stock. They typically wouldn't make it into a request like this but fall near the middle of your price range.

I'll leave it at that but if you want to talk more about the champions, let me know and I'll gladly provide any knowledge I may have.
Thanks for the in depth answer lape! Sensitivity is definitely subjetive, and it definitely depends on many factors. I never considered the Dobyns Champions before. However, I noticed that they don't have a warranty program - I guess its more like an exchange program. How are the rods' durability? I don't think I'd be down to shell out $100 to replace a broken rod.
toobinator wrote:My first choice would be the E6X, but I have fished with them. The Daiwa TAT's seem like a good rod, but I haven't had them in the store long enough to get any feedback. Don't forget the Shimano Crucials either. Just over the $200.00 mark, but they have a $40.00 rebate on right now. The reports back on them have been great. The Zodias rods are worth a look as well.

Ed
Thanks Ed! I'll definitely try to make it out to Paddetales in the near future and check out those rods. I'm also contemplating the Dobyn's Fury - have you had postive feedback about this rod?
DropShot’r wrote:It is quite frankly impossible to get a better rod for the money than the Dobyns Champions that are on sale at Ed’s.

I own 8 Dobyns rods. 1 Savvy, 1 DX and 6 Champions.

I too will gladly answer any questions you may have.
Wow, that's quote the collection! Again same question goes: how do you find the durability of the rods? Would the Champions be the best bang-for-your-buck?
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I have some of the Furys in stock. The durability of the Dobyns is fine. The replacement cost is for accidental breakage, not warranty. The truth of the matter is any manufacturer's defects will show very early in a rods use. A rod that breaks after 2 or 43 months use is broken because of a nick in the blank or some other damage that has happened to it.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

kliven wrote:I'm also contemplating the Dobyn's Fury - have you had postive feedback about this rod?
It would honestly be a mistake if you went with the Fury line over the Champion, this only because the Champion is presently marked down at Paddletales.
There's no issues what so ever with the rod's durability.
If you're contemplating the Dobyns line, the Champion is the best bang for your buck, you won't find them cheaper anywhere else.

There's also the Daiwa Tatula line up, these rods have been selling like hot cakes for a few years now, every review and comment I've read on them, on various forums, has been very positive, they're also priced right in regards to components.

If you head down to Paddletales, I'd suggest bringing your reel with you, you'll be able to slap it on a few rods and ease your decision based on an overall feel of the combo.
Hell, with the nice weather, you could cast it out back in the store's parking lot.

*Edit, Don't overlook the Tatula XT rods, cheaper then the previous Tatula rod and just as good, Ed has both in store.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

There is most definitely a lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects with Dobyns. But as Ed stated, manufacturers defects will always present themselves quite quickly. IMO, there are only a handful of warranty programs on par with what Dobyns offers. It's one of the only reasons I seriously considered them at the time. Loomis has the expediter program which is basically the same thing. They had gotten rid of it for a while but brought it back a year or two ago.

As for durability of Dobyns, I've got 4 champions and 2 DX rods. I plan on adding 1 or 2 this year and then I'm done for a while. Some of these rods are 5 years old and I've only ever had a problem with 1 and that was last year. The second guide insert popped out which is easily replaced. I'm actually planning to drop it off today to have it fixed.