Swim Baits

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Swim Baits

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Have been doing research on swim baits to try this summer but haven't really had much luck in that department. I'm trying to expand my horizons this year and swimbaits has always intrigued me. Haven't been able to find much on them. Just wondering what other people think of swimbaits in our area I know they are big in the US.

Brian
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Swim Baits

Post by BradGuenette »

What types of swimbaits are you looking at fishing? Soft body, hard body, paddle tails?

They sure do work in our area!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Brad mostly soft body and paddle tails I think I love to fish in the green stuff and assume that soft body and paddle tails would be best for that. I don't really know much about the types at all but they seem like my kind of bait.

Brian
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Soft swimbaits rigged weedless one of my favorites , you can fish those anywhere!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

We bought lots of skinny dippers from Reaction Innovations, and never came around to using them last season.
Lots of local anglers swear by swimbaits, regardless of brand.
Keitech gets awesome reviews, should be available soon at Paddletales, if not already.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

lots of options out there for soft body swimbaits. The Keitech Swing Impact Fat is at the top of my list, for what your looking to do a wide gap swimbait hook with a screw lock will serve you best. I really like the 4/0 1/8oz Owner Beast hook, the centering pin makes rigging a bait straight effortless, one thing to note is you want to use as little weight as possible to get to your desired depth, you'll get much better action out of the bait that way.

Here's a great video from the fellas at Tactical Bassin on rigging paddle tail swimbaits,
http://youtu.be/dIuhCbmEUYc

I fish them on a 7'3" 4 power rod, and a 7:1.1 reel paired with 15lb flurocarbon.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

TheMaverick wrote:We bought lots of skinny dippers from Reaction Innovations, and never came around to using them last season.
Lots of local anglers swear by swimbaits, regardless of brand.
Keitech gets awesome reviews, should be available soon at Paddletales, if not already.

Skinny dippers are my favorites and if you don't use them and you have the colour "White Thrash" i'll buy them off of you. Just because I love to say that I caught my bass with White thrash skinny dippers!!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Soft swimbaits are one of the most universal multi species baits out there. You can buy them in various sizes to accommodate your needs. They can literally be used almost anywhere for any species. I use the New Jackall Rhythm Waves in 3.8" for swim jig trailers, chatterbait trailers, rigged with a long shanked jig head for smallies or eyes. I use the 4.8" rigged texas rig over grass, pads, and through pockets. Or you can use them traditionally with a weighted swimbait hook. I also really like the Keitech Impact fats as well but they are pricey. Check out the video for the Jackalls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FntjBazRo

BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Spence Scout wrote:Soft swimbaits are one of the most universal multi species baits out there. You can buy them in various sizes to accommodate your needs. They can literally be used almost anywhere for any species. I use the New Jackall Rhythm Waves in 3.8" for swim jig trailers, chatterbait trailers, rigged with a long shanked jig head for smallies or eyes. I use the 4.8" rigged texas rig over grass, pads, and through pockets. Or you can use them traditionally with a weighted swimbait hook. I also really like the Keitech Impact fats as well but they are pricey. Check out the video for the Jackalls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FntjBazRo

Glad to see the Rhytm Wave now popping up on store shelves, I'm curious to see how they stack up against the Swing Impact Fat. Also happy to see Jackall did it right and put the baits in clam shell packaging to avoid bent tails!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Great action and colours. I'll be picking up a few of those.
Thanks for posting the link Spence
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I have the Rhythm Wave available in green pumpkin and 2 sizes so far. More colours are coming. I also have a few Keitechs in, but they are tough to get too. Good supply of skinny dippers too

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

Rigged weedless, you can fish these in the pads, and all but the thickest slop, just about anywhere you can pitch a surface frog, these will work.
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

Picked up some 3.3 inch keitech fat impact swimbaits in white ... I was super impressed with the action of this swimbait. They put 4 lake trout in the boat last week...ill be buying more of these in different colours for when bass opens up!
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Trout_83 wrote:Picked up some 3.3 inch keitech fat impact swimbaits in white ... I was super impressed with the action of this swimbait. They put 4 lake trout in the boat last week...ill be buying more of these in different colours for when bass opens up!

This bait but more smallmouth in my boat then any other bait over the years, they are fantastic!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada