Need advice

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Need advice

Post by Harpee61 »

Hi all
I'm in charge of buying a retirement gift for a colleague who's also my fishing buddy, and I''ve landed on a travel rod and reel but I need advice. Does anyone have experience with one of these? I'm thinking that a salt water combo would be best since it's versatile and he's bound to get down South eventually though for now it'll mostly be freshwater fishing. Baitcasting or spining, action and lenght, what's likely most versatile? I started looking around and Sail has an Okuma spinning rod that's saltwater and they have a St Croix bc rod that's also saltwater. Don't know if Ed carries any or the other tackle shops around. Any advice much appreciated. Tx. Rob
Forgot to mention: my budget is about $500
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Need advice

Post by toobinator »

I've got pack rods that come in a nice tube by I believe Fenwick. They come with different sections so you can have either a medium or medium heavy action. Both spinning and casting available. Both freshwater though. You would get a whackload of change from $500.00 even if you bought both. Decent quality though.

ED
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Post by Harpee61 »

Thanks a lot Ed. I figure salt water is still the preferred solution but if that changes I will keep that Fenwick in mind. R
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

If you're seeking a rod that was designed with salt in mind the Loomis Escape Travel Series is as nice as they come. I've fished with most of them and you wouldn't know that they are 3 piece rods. This would certainly be appreciated as a retirement gift. Ed could get you one for sure.

http://gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/ ... ERIES.html
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

toobinator wrote:I've got pack rods that come in a nice tube by I believe Fenwick. They come with different sections so you can have either a medium or medium heavy action. Both spinning and casting available. Both freshwater though. You would get a whackload of change from $500.00 even if you bought both. Decent quality though.

ED
Price for that?