Hook Size

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Hook Size

Post by kevinv »

This has always been a debate over what size to use for fishing.

When I fish trout, carp and perch I try to use a smaller hook.
When I was in the Ottawa valley, I was told a bigger hook is better.

I have since settled on a medium hook for most needs, but don't always seem to hook fish. What size hook do you use for general fishing? Perch, bass, rock bass etc.

Thanks
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Hook Size

Post by TheMaverick »

Hooks, hooks, and more hooks.
Generally depends on what lure/technique you’re using, you won’t be using the same hook on a drop shot, as you would on a horny toad setup.

Straight shank, wide gap, extra wide gap, needle, spear, hollow point?
I do believe they play an important role when fishing.

If I was to settle for one, which would limit my presentations, EWG size 3.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The Maverick pretty much summed it up.

For perch and rock bass, I am usually set up with a drop shot hook in size 1 (not to be confused with 1/0) but I usually use worms or minnows for this. My father prefers snelled hooks with line and uses the same size of hook and sometimes smaller.

For bass fishing, it really depends on the technique. There are so many different hooks on the market depending on what you are doing, it can get a little crazy.

What I use the most are:

Drop shot, 1/0 octopus hooks. I have become fond of the Gamakatsu swivel shot G finesse hooks.
Wacky rigs - Again, I'll use a weighted wacky hook in the 1/0 range.
For texas rigs and pretty much anything else. I use EWG hooks in the 3/0 to 5/0 range but 3/0 and 4/0 seem to get the most use.

Adam
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

Sorry about that. Mostly for bait fishing with the kids.

I always carry different size hooks so I can change up if needed, but want to set and go with them. It is their fist year really fishing
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

If that is the case, I still stick with the size 1 for the most part. Kids (mine at least) have a tendancy of not setting the hook so the bigger hook down seem to gut hook the fish as often.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

When I bring my daughter out I use a micro tube jig! Pan fish have no problem taking it and with the little weight on it makes it a bit easier to cast!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I prefer smaller hooks in general.... Most of my hooks are #8 to #4 especially for carp and such.

With kids I like #6 circle hooks; they tend to hook cleanly in the lip of pan fish and are easy to extract.