Muskie tips

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
GrizzBear
Participant
Participant

Muskie tips

Post by GrizzBear »

Hi everyone, I've been fishing for quite a while but still have yet to catch a muskie. I'm up at the cottage next week and would love to hook into one.

Any advice RE: lures, technique etc would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks
G
Sir Lumbo
Participant
Participant

Re: Muskie tips

Post by Sir Lumbo »

Luck and a lot of casting works for me.

Have caught them on a few different lures from top water to white bucktails.

Also most times has been right at sun down. A few smaller ones (under 30inch) during the day.

Best of Luck!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Where is your cottage.

Bucktails are pretty good, i found if you use a smaller one you will get more hits or follows, along with some nice bass and pike.

Maybe speed up your retrieve to
- Rick Ozga
Who_ate_all_the_Pie?
Participant
Participant

Post by Who_ate_all_the_Pie? »

i started trying for muskie last fall... notice, I say trying?? I had lots of follows, and caught one :o Lot's of casting, I don't really enjoy trolling as much.
If I can give you one tip... it is to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do your figure 8's or something like it. Don't be lazy, or think there wouldnt be fish here anway.. I have had that happen so many times, where I figure 8 all day long, and don't do it this one time, and ...hello.. Or, I crank in a bait super fast after a bad cast, and pull it out of the water....and hello.. They are there, and they are watching your lures! I've had one sit underneath the boat, begging for a figure 8.
Keep a "diary" or log book, of your days on the water. A good way to keep track of what works, or what doesn't, and try to figure out the winning formula.
Have fun!