Do I have the correct Rod and Reel set up?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Do I have the correct Rod and Reel set up?

Post by Alex Bull »

Hey everyone,

This is my situation. I have been acquiring rods and reels over the last few years from either tournaments, trade shows, and random sales, but my collection doesn't have any order to it.

What I would like to know is, do I have the correct rod matched with the correct reel for a certain technique? Hopefully than I can label each setup as either jerkbait, frog, flipping....etc. Then I can also go out shopping for any setups I might be missing :D

Here's what I have now:

Shimano Convergence graphite spinning 7ft Medium heavy fast ----- Stradic C3000

Shimano Convergence Casting 7.2ft medium heavy ( worm/jig) ----- Abu Pro Max 7.1

Shimano Sellus Spinning 6.8ft medium Fast ----- Abu Orra sx20

Abu Pro Max 6.6Ft Medium ----- Daiwa Tatula 100hs 7.3

Dobyns Savy Mirco SSM 733C. 7.3 Medium heavy ----- Daiwa Tatula 100hs 7.3

Simax Loco 6.6 Medium Heavy ---- Bass Pro Carbon Pro 7.1

Simax Loco 6.6 Medium Heavy----- Quantum Team KVD casting 7.3

Also just got a Pflueger Supreme Spinning that will need a rod.

What do you think?
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Do I have the correct Rod and Reel set up?

Post by TheMaverick »

That’s a well-rounded arsenal.
You could most certainly benefit from lower gear ratio reels, they do serve a purpose when using crankbaits.
If anything, maybe a heavy frog rod that could also double as a pitching rod.

As for matching up combos, I’ve always went with the notion of feel and comfort.
Your intended technique should dictate gear ratio, and rod tapper/action.

When purchasing a combo, I’ve always ventured out with a specific technique in mind, I’m also at the point where I like that said combo to be able to pull double duty if needed.

Don’t hesitate to ask more questions…I’m sure other members will chime in.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

I have a Pflueger Supreme on Shimano crucial worm and jig rod, medium fast. The Pfluegar is not my most expensive reels but its one of my favorites.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Like Maverick said you should add a heavy rod for frogs/Jigs. I'd put the tatula 7.3 reel on that rod and look for a slower ratio reel

I personally would only like two spinning combos but that is just me

i do have a few rods and reels that i'll be selling. was planning on waiting till the spring. if your interested send me a pm
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I find a lot of repetition within the rods you currently have.

Gear ratio along with inches per turn are an important detail when trying to decide what you are going to use the combo for.

While I do not know enough about the rods you currently have, I can give you an idea of what I use for different techniques.

This is what I have.

6.2:1/closest to a medium fast rod) for jerkbaits/walk the dog so that the action is not changed by too much line coming in.
6.3:1/ medium heavy for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits as I find a ratio in the 7:x to bring in too much line and can tire me out faster as the blades run faster causing more resistance
7.0:1/mag heavy fast for pitching. I would prefer faster but I love this reel
7.4:1/ medium fast for my worm rod
8.5:1/ heavy fast for frogging (Reel has a 94MM handle to help the high gear ratio). I also use this for punching once in a while.
5.2:1/medium mod fast for cranks. This is a dedicated graphite cranking stick
7.3.1/medium heavy fast for light texas rigs. I'll be using it for more next year. I just got the combo and have not experimented with it much.
and 2 6.0:1 (Spinning) for wacky rigs, drop shot, and dragging tubes. one of the rods is a medium light while the other is a medium heavy.
As echoed above, you are missing a Heavy rod for frogs and I think you could benefit from some slower retrieves.

I've also noticed you have a lot of rods under 7 feet. Is that because you prefer them? I ask because I only have 1 rod under 7 feet which is my jerkbait rod.

I hope this helps but if you have more questions, just ask.
Last edited by lape0019 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Here are two links below I used when starting to put together my combos

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fis ... stem-reels

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fis ... ystem-rods

From here i bought and sold until i found the right combos that suited my style of fishing and the bodies of water i most often fish.
- Rick Ozga