New combo

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

New combo

Post by kevinv »

Hello all:
I am looking into a setup for larger fish. Ie pike, muskie, walleye, and carp.

I seem to have lost my setup I had for this, in one of my moves. I had a 6.5 ft medium rod, Daiwa spincast reel, 20lb test mono with 12 inch wire leader. Anyway. I have been looking into an uglystick rod, but not sure about the reel. So many in the mid price range, but not sure. Also line has changed a lot in 20 years. Not sure what everyone uses now.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. .

Thank you
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: New combo

Post by ShawnD »

Ugly sticks are indestructible, I've never owned one and will probably never own one..
Reason being, I have enough rods at the moment and typically when targeting larger fish I will use a baitcaster and heavy line.

My spinning rods are for lighter applications like senkos, dropshots, dragging tubes and where bites may be very subtle.

My Baitcasters will have heavier line and I'll throw Frogs, spinner baits, texas rigs, ( The list goes on and on )

As for line, I use braided line on almost everything I own and for a spinning application I'd use 15# or 10#.
I for one love the high vis Yellow PowerPro Sells, if you don't feel the subtle bite you'll see your line tick or move. ;)

Hope that helps!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/