Drag washer grease ??

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Drag washer grease ??

Post by Dnbmike »

Started cleaning my own reels and was wondering what guys where putting on their drag washers ... I run shimano casting and spinning ..used pen synthetic grease last year and was less then impressed ..was wondering if their is anything local available ..any info would be helpfull
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Drag washer grease ??

Post by cndbasshunter »

Dnbmike wrote:Started cleaning my own reels and was wondering what guys where putting on their drag washers ... I run shimano casting and spinning ..used pen synthetic grease last year and was less then impressed ..was wondering if their is anything local available ..any info would be helpfull
cal's drag grease or shimano.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Drag washer grease is rated by temperature and mainly applies to salt water fishing where long runs heat up the drag washers in the reels. Cals is rated to 500 degrees and Shimano to 300. Go with Shimano, its cheaper and 300 yard runs arent an issue for us. :lol:
A greased drag on Carbon Fibre provides a extremely smooth drag with no jerkiness or sticking at start up.
Shimano has a wet (greased) drag on all but two of its reels and those are big salt water reeis as I understand it.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I use the Shimano Grease. Order some online or call Shimano canada.

The dartanium drags are basically felt and although they look dry when you open a new reel, they aren't. When greasing the drag, you don't need much at all. Just coat the drag so you can see it but not to the point where it's goopy. I put some on both sides to the point the washer looks wet as they don't need much. In tear down the reels once a year and am still running the original drags so I can't complain about their longevity.

I've never used Penns grease but if it isn't for drags, I'd stick to using it for what it was intended for.

And FYI, I was reading some older posts on another site and the Shimano rep recommends using the Shimano drag grease on the gears too. So if you are still less than impressed with it, you'll still have a use for it. It is cheap to buy though.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I'm pretty sure the proprietary Shimano Dartanium drags is not felt.
It is a good drag system but tends to get sticky. If you service it regularly you wont have any issues. You can easily see where the sticky areas are as they show up as dark spots on the drag washers. Dartanium is very brittle so rub them flat on a rag to clean them and grease them enough to leave s fingerprint. Any excess grease will get squeezed out so don't worry about it. When everything is reinstalled secure the spool so it won't move, set the drag so you can turn the handle a bunch to reseat the drag. If you are having issues with the Dartanium drag Swap it out with greased carbon fibre and you will never have another problem.
This is a common practice for Tekotas.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Lunker Larry wrote: This is a common practice for Tekotas.
It's a common practice for all reels, I personaly like carbontex washers with very little grease.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

You are right. The drags are not felt. They just look like a compressed felt. They seem to be a carbon material of some sort. They are brittle but I haven't had a problem with them breaking. You just have to be careful when removing them.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

Hey guys thanks for the replies ...I bought some hot sauce grease made by quantum .I'll keep You guys posted on how it stacks up against the penn synthetic . On the package says it can be used on drag washers ..used there oil before seemed to function well ..so fingers crossed :shock:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I wouldn't use hot sauce simply because t stains everything.

Seriously man, got on fish.shimano.com and buy the drag grease that is designed specifically for Shimano reels.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Dnbmike wrote:Hey guys thanks for the replies ...I bought some hot sauce grease made by quantum .I'll keep You guys posted on how it stacks up against the penn synthetic . On the package says it can be used on drag washers ..used there oil before seemed to function well ..so fingers crossed :shock:
If you haven't already applied the "Sauce", I wouldn't recommend using it lol.
Quantum's hot sauce uses a polishing compound within their formula, it could potentially damage your reel.

You'd be better off using a teflon based grease.
You asked, got plenty of replies, did you even consider them before making your purchase?
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

I'll grab some shimano grease..Had already bought the hot sauce grease...just figured it would be just as good ..I've used there oil before without a hiccup...wasn't trying to dismiss anyones opinion
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Dnbmike wrote:I'll grab some shimano grease..Had already bought the hot sauce grease...just figured it would be just as good ..I've used there oil before without a hiccup...wasn't trying to dismiss anyone opinion
I should have worded my question a little better, came off a little bitchy lol
And good on you for asking/posting, we need more of these posts on FH.

We were actually debating, through text messages, to start a maintenance reel thread.
Could be helpful during the off season for guys/gals wanting to have at it.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

TheMaverick wrote: And good on you for asking/posting, we need more of these posts on FH.
This is the fish hawk I grew to love. I always looked forward to this site for advice. I'd rather hear is from a local guy with experience, instead of some guy 3000 miles away.

Lots of members here have the knowledge and experience. Anyone reading this don't hesitate to ask if you have a question
- Rick Ozga
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

River Monster wrote:
TheMaverick wrote: And good on you for asking/posting, we need more of these posts on FH.
This is the fish hawk I grew to love. I always looked forward to this site for advice. I'd rather hear is from a local guy with experience, instead of some guy 3000 miles away.

Lots of members here have the knowledge and experience. Anyone reading this don't hesitate to ask if you have a question
Here's a good one, and pls, enlighten me!
Oil or grease the worm gear? llllllolol

(inside joke, ongoing debate between Rivermonster and myself).
Last edited by TheMaverick on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

Thx again guys do appreciate the insight. I like that these questions get bounced around and thought about ..I keep my reels clean knowing they can last you a lifetime.. the last thing I want is to dye the insides red ..
Even if it was just a chance .. its a headache I don't want :D