Bass Fishing Hooks Size - Shaky Head - Wacky – Shad

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bass Fishing Hooks Size - Shaky Head - Wacky – Shad

Post by cprince »

Making my winter shopping list for all the fixings I need for bass fishing summer 2017 and I am getting into the hooks.

I recently got into "Shaky Head" and I love it. Freaking effective presentation. My question is to those who fish it: Size and weight?

Considering the following:
- Lake fishing with little to no current.
- Varying depths to +/- 20 FOW.
- Normal sized Senkos of about 5inches.
- Mostly braid and sometimes flouro for especially clear lakes.

What would people recommend for gap size and weight?

Always looking for input about wacky other styles too when it comes to hook selection. This is the one thing that I usually get stuck on and stare blankly at the crazy vast selection of different hooks.

** On a related note.. did they change the standard that currency is based on and moved from the gold standard to freakin tungsten?!! The price per hook is NUTS!**

Craig
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bass Fishing Hooks Size - Shaky Head - Wacky – Shad

Post by lape0019 »

Hey Craig,

I don't use a shaky head at all. Guess it's something I should try.

For wacky, I use a 1/0. It's the Gamakatsu G finesse weighted wacky hook. I use both 1/16 and 1/8oz sizes.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

lape0019 wrote:Hey Craig,

I don't use a shaky head at all. Guess it's something I should try.

For wacky, I use a 1/0. It's the Gamakatsu G finesse weighted wacky hook. I use both 1/16 and 1/8oz sizes.
This bad boy right here?

This one that's about $3 bucks a hook?

lol! I would have to buy scuba gear with those to not lose any. The Scots in me wouldn't sleep at night!

Craig
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I'm a big fan of the Megastike heads, I haven't found one that stands up better, I mainly fish 3/16-1/4oz.

Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

BradGuenette wrote:I'm a big fan of the Megastike heads, I haven't found one that stands up better, I mainly fish 3/16-1/4oz.

Hmmm... 4 pack from Tackle Warehouse @ $5.50... not bad at all...I also found the corkscrew tougher than the straight wire ones.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Lol,

Yes Craig, those are the hooks I use. I don't think I've ever really looked at the price but given that I use the drop shot hooks and they are the same price, I'm not surprised. I can tell you I might go through 4 packs a year.

The hook stays sharpe. The only downside (I've found with all of the brands I've tried) is the weed guard comes out after about half a day. I don't really care for the guard so I'll use it without it for a long time.

I've used other brands and the hooks either snap (vmc) or dull after a few days. Which means I end up buying more during the year.

The owner ones I've used have health up well too, I just prefer the Gammies.