Make Your Own Soft Plastics?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Make Your Own Soft Plastics?

Post by frogin1998 »

I've been wanting to make my own senko soft plastics for years. Seen those youtube videos online and they really seem fun.
However, is it really worth the cost of going through that process? It seems that the only place to get those molds are online and they are not cheap at all.
Any of you folks attempted to do so and how did it work out?
I really want to try doing it cause I'm getting bored of buying Gary's senkos bag after bag.
What would be the cheapest possible way to make it happen?
gaspumper
Participant
Participant

Re: Make Your Own Soft Plastics?

Post by gaspumper »

There is no such thing as cheap when you start makeing plastic baits.Molds are $100 plus each, plastisol quart $20.00,colorant $6.50 for 1 0z.Hardner $30.00 a pint,Injector 4 oz. $70.00,9.5 oz injector $ 189.00 on and on and on.Take a look at "luremaking.com"
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

For the most part unless you get into making hundreds and hundreds it's not cost effective at all from what I've heard.

RJ
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Several years ago I was thinking the same thing you ae now. Just wanted to make some custom color senkos, beavers and grubs and save some money to boot....

After doing a bunch of research on molds, plastic, hardener, softener, colors, glitter, pepper, flakes, scents, injector, furnace...etc. I realized the custom part was very achievable, but that save a few bucks thingy was right out the window.

If you are looking to get custom colors I would suggest finding some one that does pour and discuss what you would like with them. Another option to consider is that some manufacturers may make a run for you but be prepared to buy in bulk

Good luck,

Drop
Dobyns Army member
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

You could check out impact baits out of Toronto area. They have a really good plastic recipe and do bulk orders. There is a new owner now so not sure on pricing but nobody could beat his price last year.
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

First Mate Lures in Orleans ( St. Joseph Blvd.) can make custom lures for you.
They`re local and you could visit them to work out the details.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
cheeze
Participant
Participant

Post by cheeze »

Have a bunch of moods and stuff if u wanna come look