casting rod set ups?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
snipr18leafs
Participant
Participant

casting rod set ups?

Post by snipr18leafs »

Plan on getting few more casting combos, what some good set up for senkos, swim baits, top water baits ect

Thanks for the help
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: casting rod set ups?

Post by lape0019 »

What's your price point?

What size swimbait? Like fluke to a RI Skinny dipper or a hard bodied 7" (or more) Behemoth?

And topwater? Are you talk frogs? Horny toads? Plugs? Walking baits?

The more detailed, the better we can help you out?
snipr18leafs
Participant
Participant

Post by snipr18leafs »

Price point 100-180
Swim baits - flukes and probably 5-7inch hard swim bait
Top water - fogs and plugs
And 7 inch worms
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Within that price range, Pfluegler casting reels are quality and budget minded.
I have had recent experience with cheaper Daiwa rods. They are light and sensitive but the fit and finish are lacking. I have needed to glue loose reel rings and caps after only a couple uses. Look to spend at least 80 to 120 of that budget on a rod. I think Shimano has some, but I prefer Fenwick rods in that price range. And Daiwa reels have always been good to me at any of their price points.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Check out the new redesigned Shimano Compres. Unreal value for the buck.

RJ
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

What other combos do you have? Some might work well already for swimsuits, senkos or worms.
- Rick Ozga
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

$100-$180 per rod, and the same per reel? Or $100-$180 per combo?

I'd look at lower-end Shimano reels as they're pretty durable and yet still perform well. Something like the Caenan or Citica. For rods, Shimano Compre are great.

If you are looking for dedicated combos, what I'd recommend is that you look at a 7'-7'3" MH for the senko rod, F/XF action. Pair that with a 7:1 (or faster) reel and some 30-40# braid.
For the worm rod, I'll assume jigs too (very similar thing). I'd go with a 7'2"-7'6" MH, F action. Something that transitions from a light tip into a very good backbone. I like a Dobyn's 4-power (MH) as a comparison. (If I am flipping heavy cover or heavy 3/4oz+ jigs, make that a 5-power or "H" power). The reel should be the 7:1 or faster variety as well, with 40-50# braid.
For the topwater, if you're thinking frogs/toads, I'd go with a 7'6" or longer H action, F or XF action, paired with the highest gear ratio you can get. 50-70# braid. If you're thinking of walking baits such as spooks or poppers, the above recommendation is way different (shorter, less powerful, moderate-fast action, and a slower reel with mono).
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

Hey guys, long time no see on here. I would recommend Fenwick Rods in that price range - that is what I use and they are workhorses. As for reels, you can get a Lews Speed Spool for $100. So $100 for a speed spool, and $80-100 for either a Fenwick Eagle or HMG/HMX.
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"