Downriggers For Salmon/Trout

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
steveo955
Participant
Participant

Downriggers For Salmon/Trout

Post by steveo955 »

Hey All,

Wondering if anybody can help with a bit of a shopping list. New to the Ottawa area and plan on dragging the boat to salmon/trout areas but I have absolutely no experience with this type of fishing. I have the downriggers all wired in and ready to go, just need cannon balls. I am hoping someone can chime in and make gear suggestions, all the gear I have now is for salmon fishing the rivers in BC. Any info would help, thanks in advance.

Steve
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Downriggers For Salmon/Trout

Post by mitch »

Great info on this site

http://www.spoonpullers.com/
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

steveo955 wrote:Hey All,

Wondering if anybody can help with a bit of a shopping list. New to the Ottawa area and plan on dragging the boat to salmon/trout areas but I have absolutely no experience with this type of fishing. I have the downriggers all wired in and ready to go, just need cannon balls. I am hoping someone can chime in and make gear suggestions, all the gear I have now is for salmon fishing the rivers in BC. Any info would help, thanks in advance.

Steve

Hey Steve, shoot me a PM if you would like to further discuss. I fished Salmon and charters on lake O out of wellington for more than 15 years.... There is allot of stuff involved......
Cheer's CCLad.
steveo955
Participant
Participant

Post by steveo955 »

Great site Mitch, Thanks!

CCLad, PM sent.
xbowhunter
Participant
Participant

Post by xbowhunter »

For salmon I'd suggest a slightly heavier cannonball maybe 12 lbs. You will likely be trolling a little faster for Kings. Probably 2.3 - 3.5 MPH. The heavier weight will provide for less of an angle on your cable and make your depth reading less of a guessing game. Your lures also have to tolerate faster tolling speeds. Northern Kings are always a good bet. They need to maintain their action at higher speeds and not just start spinning. A VHF is also a valuable tool. Lots of charter boats will give out valuable information like speed, depth, and colour. At Wellington if you are bilingual that also helps. Lots of French spoken over VHF. One other thing is that no 2 days of salmon fishing ever are the same. Colour, depth, location and speed can and do change from 1 day to the next. Finally have respect for the big lake. When the winds pick up she can rock and roll. Safety first. If you are in doubt about your boats capability on a windy day stay on shore or fish other areas that may be more sheltered.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

12 lb balls minimum. Make sure safety gear is in order and a vhf radio is mandatory. I believe they are still using ch 72.
Wellington is a great place to launch but only if you know where to fish. You hit 70 fow at 7 miles out. To get 100 ft you will be out 15 to 20 miles. There are a lot of shoals that hold fish. Mandatory tackle would be various spoons with green. On other days purple and black. 2 rods per person are allowed, so I would run different presentations in your spread. Don't be afraid to use leadcore and steel line. Lastly, spin doctor and flies catch the big ones.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'd drive a 45 mins further down 401 and going out of those ports, waaaaay less of a run and if it picks up wind wise you aren't worrying about a 20 mile run back.

RJ
steveo955
Participant
Participant

Post by steveo955 »

Great info guys, thanks! I took a charter out last Thursday and we did ok, 8 lakers all around 10-12lbs. Main purpose was to watch and learn a bit of rigging. Great experience. I went out with Martin from "A Friend With A Boat".

Steve
Masterbaiter101
Participant
Participant

Post by Masterbaiter101 »

ive got the cannon pro series. they are awesome. but the retrieval speed is so fast the cannon comes flying out of the water and slams the downrigger. other than that its perfect. scottys are also great
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

If you were catching Lakers, then the troll speed was too slow for salmon. But when salmon bite is slow, like it is now, they put you on the Lakers to give you some action. Salmon start to bite better in July when the alewife move to the north end of the lake. If you want a short run to the fish, I would try Wicklow Beach Launch (7 or 8 miles) or Port Hope ( 5 miles) on a weekday. Too busy for my liking at Port Hope on the weekend. One tool that is worth it's weight in gold is a temp probe.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

Just a note that Port Hope launch is not available due to high water level; however, Cobourg is fine. Cost is $10.50 which includes launch and parking.