Fluorocarbon leaders for bass

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Carmichael
Participant
Participant

Re: Fluorocarbon leaders for bass

Post by Carmichael »

As many do, I use flouro, mono and braid. My story on flouro...fishing Muskrat with a chum. I had straight flouro and he had all braid. We were Texas rigging senko type baits (this was before wacky came out big). The Smallies were on fire (and for those that know Muskrat, this was on the largie side, no largies caught that day)...for me and the flouro, not so much for my buddy and the braid. Same lure, same casts, same area and he may have caught 5 to my 30. I would like to say it was the fisherman that day but this guy is an awesome fisherman.

So in that case it seems the flouro was more effective. Of course others will have similar stories on braid, so let the discussion continue.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Interesting responses, specially when people use the word "confidence", I'd have to say that I have used Fluoro for that reason as well. Lately I have had issue with Fluoro (including sunline flipping fc) snapping at the knot. Ended up doing away with the leader and didn't seem to notice a drop in catch rate but certainly not a controlled scientific experiment.

I think I'll switch things up and see if I build confidence in the new approach.
I have to admit, the fluoro gives me confidence around zebra mussels for abrasion resistance.
stevenhennige
Participant
Participant

Post by stevenhennige »

Personally I have followed this new tread of using these bright colored braids, (chartreuse, yellow etc) so I feel the need for a fluorocarbon leader.
Reason for bright lines is it makes it easy to see line movement on bait fall, etc. Of course the kvd marker trick works when you need to use straight braid.
They make garlic scent markers now.