Play in Shimano Curado 70XG Normal?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Play in Shimano Curado 70XG Normal?

Post by bl8ant »

I have 2 Curados 70 that seem to have some play and audible clicking when the handle is pushed towards or pulled away from the body of the reel. Just wondered if this is considered normal for this reel.

https://vimeo.com/229207154
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Play in Shimano Curado 70XG Normal?

Post by lape0019 »

As much as Shimano has quite tight tolerances, almost every single one of my reels will do this. Keep in mind that the drag star has a Spring in it and there is usually a little bit of play somewhere between the dragster and the main gear. There could also be a little space between the heading and the base if where the shaft is screwed to the main body.

This is not something I personally would be concerned about.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

My Curado 200i models to not exhibit this symptom at all, only the 70s of the same year.
I have always found there to be some play in handles of shimano casting reels but not quite like this.

Any gain in smoothness and refinement in this reel over previous generations is trumped by the feeling of the handle moving and audible clicking when it shifts.
You can create a visible shifting that is accompanied by audible clicking by pulling and pushing on the handle?
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

have you made sure the handle nut is tight? mine moves a little too.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

My 71XG has exactly zero play at all. It's rock solid and butter smooth.
I've tried pushing/pulling the handle as you described and could find no play anywhere.

Have you tried opening up the reel to ensure there's nothing loose?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

curls wrote:
Have you tried opening up the reel to ensure there's nothing loose?
Don't do this if it is still under warranty. Just send it in if it is a concern of yours.

The only reels that I have that don't make an audible click like that are by Calcutta Conquests and a JDM Metanium DC. The rest have a little bit of play.

Try locking down the drag and see if it goes away or check what CNDbasshunter recommended.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Thanks for all of the responses.
After a recent trip to Cabelas I can confirm that the play in the handle assembly that I'm experiencing with the Curado 70 is not an anomaly. The Shimano casting reels and offerings from 13 fishing and Abu Garcia on display all behaved similarly.

Good to hear about the Metanium, I've heard tolerances on the Curado K have been tightened some, perhaps they addressed this type of back and forth play.