Balsa and other wood crankbaits - Who uses them?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Balsa and other wood crankbaits - Who uses them?

Post by lape0019 »

Hey guys,

I've been contemplating getting into balsa cranks and have discussed this with a few of my friends.

Just wondering if anyone here still uses them and if so, what their favorite brand is. I currently have one Bagley's I totally forgot I bought but am looking for some other options.

Adam
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Balsa and other wood crankbaits - Who uses them?

Post by DropShot’r »

Adam,

I use them, more importantly Al Lindner uses them.

I carry several beloved original Bagley's Fat Cats & and a deep diver, several balsa baits from Rapala, and several cedar baits I just love from the now defunct Stanford Cedar Lure Co.

I like using wood and silent plastic cranks early and late in the season.

Steve
Dobyns Army member
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks Steve,

Wood cranks don’t seem to be as popular as they once were. Like I said above, I’ve got one I picked up in the bargain bin at Ed’s last year and never used. I’d like to pick up a few other options this off season to try out but they seem to be harder and harder to find around here.

I’ve got a list of options I’ve found throughout my search and may just have to order some in. There are a couple that TW carry that I might try as well as I may try and find some custom lure makers that use other woods other than Balsa.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Wood won't be popular until KVD promotes his new KVD Cedar Square Bill 1.5 and the KVD Cedar Jerk 106......

I have been spending the last several years bringing my crank bait collection up to date so to speak. I had gotten away from throwing cranks and jerks for a very long time and decided it was time to modernize the equipment. I had planned to look for a wooden lure manufacturer to take the place of the defunct Stanford lures. I was looking at Poe's, but it almost looks as though Poe's may be going the way of the Dodo Bird too.

I have just looked at TW and there are a lot more wood bait makers than I thought there would be. I'm in the market for another flat sided wooden square bill.

Then again, I have seen several shows where Al Lindner swears by the Shad Rap for early season bass.

Good luck in your quest
Dobyns Army member
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Steve,

I have found a few custom builders that have exactly what you are looking for. They are promoted on Facebook mostly but I had asked this question within another forum and got some really good replies. I just figured if there was somewhere local that was doing it, I might as well try to support them.

I'll send you a PM with a few more details.

As this thread kind of shows, you are 100% correct that they do seem to be going away.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Let's not forget we're on Fish-Hawk.
Wood cranks, especially JDM wood cranks are the cream at the top and hard to acquire.

If you want California red wood cranks, contact Herman Oswald on FB from Catching Concepts, you'll also need a IG account as that is where his cranks are posted when available, you'll need to be quick, they go within 30 mins of being posted.

These cranks are tried tested and true, they're very popular on this other forum lol

Happy hunting.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!