WTB: Beginner 5 wt fly reel

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

WTB: Beginner 5 wt fly reel

Post by zippyfx »

Hi All,

Looking to buy a 5 wt fly reel (also looking for matched line, leader and tippet).... Picked up a rod which I can use as a fly rod and maybe trying to introduce myself to some fly fishing basics but looking to keep things inexpensive for now.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: WTB: Beginner 5 wt fly reel

Post by Todd B. »

zippyfx wrote:Hi All,

Looking to buy a 5 wt fly reel (also looking for matched line, leader and tippet).... Picked up a rod which I can use as a fly rod and maybe trying to introduce myself to some fly fishing basics but looking to keep things inexpensive for now.
Hmmm...you picked up a rod you "can use" as a fly rod? If it's not a fly rod you're going to be wasting your time.
That being said, if you did indeed pick up a 5wt fly rod, most entry level reels (Redington, SA, Orvis, etc.) will suffice as they are essentially just a line holder. I'd recommend picking up a good general purpose fly line (i.e. Rio Mainstream Trout WF, Orvis Clearwater WF, SA Mastery Trout WF, etc.). If you take care of you line properly it will last for years. Most shops will spool your line along with the necessary backing.

As for leader and tippet, they will vary depending on the type of fishing you're doing, the fly sizes, etc. In most cases you can get by with 5'-7' of 12lb mono and a length of tippet.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: WTB: Beginner 5 wt fly reel

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks.... I managed to find a reel on special... The rod is an egal claw travel rod (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/47059/ea ... pinfly-rod). Short @ 7ft but the rod converts from spin mode to fly mode.

I did not pick up the rod for that feature (I just needed a pack rod) but since it has it I thought I would try my hand at it when I get a chance.

thanks for the pointers.